The Compass - - TRINITY SOUTH -

Cst Edwina ES­COTT

In­ves­ti­ga­tor Trin­ity Con­cep­tion District

RCMP Of­fice: (709)596-5014 edwina.es­cott@rcmp

grc.gc.ca re­port any in­for­ma­tion re­gard­ing sus­pi­cious or crim­i­nal ac­tiv­ity to their lo­cal Po­lice De­tach­ment. You can re­port your in­for­ma­tion in per­son, by phone or you can be anony­mous by call­ing Crime Stop­pers at 1-800-2228477. www.nl­crimestop­pers.com

Some help­ful tips

Al­though car ac­ci­dents are more preva­lent in the win­ter months, what you need to do af­ter an ac­ci­dent never changes. Ob­vi­ously, it is hard to think clearly af­ter a car ac­ci­dent so it is im­por­tant to know be­fore you get into an ac­ci­dent what to do first and what ques­tions may need an­swered.

• De­ter­mine the ex­tent of dam­age or in­juries — Try to stay calm. De­ter­mine the ex­tent of dam­age and if there are any in­juries that need im­me­di­ate med­i­cal at­ten­tion.

• Get the facts — This is the part most peo­ple know to do, but of­ten for­get to af­ter the ac­ci­dent for one rea­son or an­other. It is im­por­tant to get names, ad­dress, and phone num­bers of ev­ery­one in­volved in the ac­ci­dent as well as any wit­nesses. A de­scrip­tion of the car and li­cense plate num­ber can also be help­ful as well as their in­surance in­for­ma­tion.

• File a car ac­ci­dent pe­port with the po­lice — An ac­ci­dent must be re­ported to the po­lice if there are in­juries and/or the dam­ages of all ve­hi­cles in­volved is over $1,000. Ve­hi­cles in­volved in hit and run ac­ci­dents are also re­portable. When you at­tend the of­fice, a state­ment will be ob­tained. Your driver’s li­cence, reg­is­tra­tion and in­surance of the ve­hi­cle will also be re­quired.

• Call your in­surance agent — Call your agent or in­surance com­pany im­me­di­ately and let them know that you were in­volved in an ac­ci­dent.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.