Local groups get funding
A handful of municipalities, community recreation organizations and schools throughout the Trininty Conception region are benefitting from the provincial government’s Minor Project Capital Grant Program.
The province announced recently that it has invested $277,550 to assist with the costs associated with upgrades to existing equipment and facilities. This is in addition to the $142,000 invested in more than 90 recreation organizations and municipalities this past fall.
The following is a list of those receiving grants from this region:
• Victoria Recreation Committee — $3,000; • Town of Victoria — $3,000; • Makinsons Sports and Recreation Assoc. Inc. — $3,000;
• Port de Grave Recreation Committee — $3,000;
• Old Perlican Fire Department — $1,500;
• Heart’s Delight-Islington Recreation Committee — $1,000;
• Town of Heart’s Content — $1,000;
• Green’s Harbour Recreation Committee — $1,000;
• Local Service Hopeall — $1,000
• and the Heart’s Desire Kids Club — $1,000.
“ In an effort to support the provincial government’s commitment to increase participation in physical activity, $419,550 has been provided to community recreation and sport projects throughout the province since September 2010,” said Recreation Minister Terry French.
“ This funding assists organizations in offering quality recreation and physical activity programs to community residents.”
Successful applicants of this program receive grants between $1,000 to $3,000 for projects that support physical activity and recreational opportunities for residents within a community and surrounding region. For more, visit: www.tcr.gov.nl.ca/tcr/sports/mino r_project_capital_grants.html.