Towns to share firefighting equipment money
Six towns in the Trinity-Conception region will share $ 85,000 worth of new firefighting.
The following fire departments will benefit from the program:
• Victoria ( five Bunker jackets and pants, three Self Contained Breathing Apparatuses) — $ 19,620 for a project total of $ 22,809
• Heart’s Content ( four SCBA, four air cylinders) — $ 17,802 – project total, $ 20,696
• Winterton (six Bunker packets and pants, two SCBA with aluminum cylinders) — $ 15,689 - total, $ 18,239
• Carbonear (three SCBA, four air cylinders, aerial fittings) — $ 15,287 – total, $ 19,994 • Brigus (two SCBA) — $ 8,155 – total, $ 9,480 • Hant’s Harbour (two SCBA) — $ 7,916 – total $ 9,202
All six projects are being funded through a costsharing agreement between the province and individual towns, where the province pays 90 per cent and the town is responsible for the remaining 10 per cent. The lone exception is Carbonear, where the funds are being cost shared on an 80/ 20 funding arrangement.
The money is being provided through the Provincial Firefighting Equipment Financial Assistance Program administered by Fire and Emergency Services — Newfoundland and Labrador.
“ Government is committed to assisting our towns, communities and regions to provide the best level of fire protection available, said Municipal Affairs Minister Kevin O’Brien, in a news release. O’Brien is also responsible for the province’s fire and emergency services.
Fire departments successful in receiving funding have applied for the program with the support of their municipal council and have committed to cover their portion of the equipment through the previously established cost-share ratios.
The provincial government has allocated a total of more than $ 6 million this year towards the municipal fire service.