Bay de Verde to receive new fire truck
Bay de Verde is to receive a new fire truck. The provincial government will pay 90 per cent of the cost of the pmper, while the town will be responsible for the remaining 10 per cent.
Public tenders for the truck will be called this summer and the vehicle is expected to be delivered in the spring of 2012.
The provincial contribution is part of government’s investment in the municipal fire service announced earlier this year.
Trinity Bay de Verde MHA Charlene Johnson said, in a news release, “the new pumper truck will be a welcome addition to the Bay de Verde Volunteer Fire Department and its members.
“ Their commitment and dedication in the interest of public safety provides a level of comfort for residents of Bay de Verde, Red Head Cove, Grates Cove, Daniel’s Cove, as well as the travelling public, by providing highway emergency response along sections of the peninsula,” the Minister of Child, Youth and Family Services suggested.
“ The provincial government is committed to assisting our communities in providing the best level of fire protection available, and we are pleased to assist Bay de Verde to modernize equipment.
“Public safety continues to be a primary focus for the provincial government,” said Minister of Municipal Affairs and minister responsible for fire and emergency services Kevin O’Brien in a news release.
The province allocated $3.9 million in this year’s provincial budget for new firefighting vehicles, along with $1 million for equipment.
With the addition of a new provincial volunteer firefighter tax credit, to acknowledge the commitment of the men and women in the volunteer fire service, government has put more than $6 million towards the municipal fire service this year.