Western Bay deaths a re­minder of the dan­gers

The Compass - - EDI­TO­RIAL OPIN­ION -

Last week’s tragedy in Western Bay is a sor­row­ful re­minder of the con­se­quences of car­bon monox­ide gas.

Two se­niors from Car­bon­ear were un­know­ingly put in harm’s way at a cabin in Con­cep­tion Bay, where they were found dead. Most likely they were un­aware that the colour­less, odor­less and invisible gas was over­tak­ing them.

Our col­lec­tive hearts go out to the fam­i­lies and friends. I know all too well about the pain caused by CO.

Over two years ago in Wood­stock, On­tario, car­bon monox­ide claimed the lives of my niece Laurie Hawkins, her hus­band Richard and chil­dren Cas­san­dra and Jor­don. A blocked vent from their gas fire­place forced deadly CO into their home. They did not have a CO alarm.

Pain­fully, these lives and others lost to car­bon monox­ide can never be re­placed. But we can hon­our their mem­ory by keep­ing our fam- ilies safe. Some pre­cau­tions in­clude the fol­low­ing: • In­stall at least one work­ing car­bon monox­ide alarm in your home, out­side sleep­ing ar­eas;

• re­place CO alarms more than 5-7 years old;

• have all fuel-burn­ing ap­pli­ances in­spected by a li­cenced tech­ni­cian yearly;

• never use por­ta­ble gas gen­er­a­tors, or bar­be­cues, in­doors;

• never leave a ve­hi­cle run­ning in an at­tached garage or car­port;

• en­sure your home’s ex­ter­nal vents are kept clear of all ob­struc­tions.

Please, stay CO safe!

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.