Har­bour Grace school evac­u­ated

Fire de­lib­er­ately set in garbage can

The Compass - - CIATHE S -

St. Fran­cis School in Har­bour Grace was evac­u­ated just be­fore 2 p.m. on Oct. 4 af­ter a fire set de­lib­er­ately in a garbage can in the boys’ bath­room sent smoke through­out the build­ing.

Fire of­fi­cials say there was also an at­tempt to light a fire un­der the stair­well in an­other area of the school.

There was no dam­age to the school, but the sit­u­a­tion could have been much worse, said Chief Ray Verge of the Har­bour Grace Volu­lun­teer Fire Bri­gade.

“ This is an act of van­dal­ism and ar­son,” Verge stated. “ I am very dis­turbed by to­day’s act.”

Stu­dents were evac­u­ated to the nearby Har­bour Grace Pri­mary.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.