Community events aplenty
Parades, tree lightings and more in the offing as Christmas nears
There will be an abundance of community events throughout the Trinity-conception region in the coming days as the Christmas spirit begins to take hold.
From parades and tree lightings to events for seniors and children, there will be no shortage of things to do.
The following is a summary of some of the events being held throughout the region. The towns are listed in alphabetical order:
Bay de Verde
• Dec. 10 — annual Santa Claus parade forms up 10:30 a.m. at the fish processing plant, ending at TriCon Elementary. Organized by the Bay de Verde Fire Department.
• Dec. 26 — annual Christmas in the Harbour concert, being held at St. Barnabas Hall. Hosted by the Bay de Verde Heritage Committee. Starts at 7 p.m.
• Nov. 29 — opening ceremonies for the annual Festival of Lights begins at 7:30 p.m. at the Community Gardens. The festival runs until Jan. 6, and is the province’s largest intelligent light park;
• Dec. 3 — annual Bay Roberts Lions Santa Claus parade starts at 11 a.m. from the Cable Building;
• Dec. 7 — Old-time Christmas Community Concert at St. John the Evangelist Church Hall on Neck Road, Coley’s Point.
• Nov. 30 — tree lighting to take place outside the town hall at 7 p.m., with a singalong, refreshments and a visit from Santa;
• Dec. 10 — day starts with a community breakfast with Santa from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. at the recreation centre, followed by the annual Santa Claus parade at 11 a.m., beginning at the St. Edward’s Roman Catholic Church parking lot. Hosted by the Brigus Volunteer Fire Brigade.
• Dec. 1 — tree lighting at the Conception Bay Regional Community Centre to start at 7 p.m. Hosted by the town’s special events committee. Cake, cookies and hot chocolate will be served.
• Dec. 11 — annual Santa Claus parade to start at 2 p.m. from the Carbonear General Hospital. Hosted by the Carbonear Volunteer Fire Department.