Funding for summer games infrastructure
Over $800,000 earmarked; Carbonear track to be resurfaced
Some $880,000 was announced May 4 to upgrade infrastructure for the 2012 Newfoundland and Labrador Summer Games being held in Carbonear and Harbour Grace in August.
The Town of Harbour Grace will receive $211,220 in cost-shared funding through the 2012 Municipal Capital Works Program to upgrade and repair sports facilities for the games. The facilities include St. Francis Soccer Field, St. Francis Field Club House, Moriarity Park Ballfields, Moriarity Park Club House, Aero Tennis Courts, Aero Club House, and the S.W. Moores Memorial Stadium.
The Town of Carbonear wil l receive $202,980 in cost-shared funding through the 2012-14 Multi-year Capital Works Program. Funding will
be used to carry out improvements to track and field facilities, softball fields, tennis courts and parking accommodations.
An additional $462,030 in costshared funding from the same program will be used to resurface the rubberized track in Carbonear.
“We are pleased to invest in the necessary upgrades to sports facilities for the towns of Carbonear and Harbour Grace to support the towns in hosting the 2012 Newfoundland and Labrador Summer Games.” said Municipal Affairs Minister Kevin O’brien.
The towns were provided $200,000 in April 2011 to assist with the operating costs associated with co-hosting the games. In addition to this funding, the provincial government will cover travel and transportation costs for all of the athletes, coaches, officials and managers, at the cost of approximately $150,000.
The Newfoundland and Labrador Games Program is designed to encourage students to participate in sport.
Carbonear and Harbour Grace previously hosted the Newfoundland and Labrador Summer Games in 1992, making this year the 20th anniversary of previously hosting the games. The games officially take place from August 18 to 25.
“These infrastructure improvements are significant. The improved facilities will be part of the games legacy and will be there for the enjoyment of residents of the area, especially our youth, for years to come,” said CarbonearHarbour Grace MHA Jerome Kennedy.
The host committee is pleased with the investments.
“The facilities in our two communities will be state-of-the-art as a result of this investment by the provincial government,” said Milton Peach, co-chair of the host committee.. “The youth of our area and those competing here from all over the province will benefit from these improvements.”
The Newfoundland and Labrador Games program was established in 1976 and is held every two years, alternating winter and summer games.
Athletes from all areas of the province, aged 11-18, compete in a range of sports selected by the Department of Tourism, Culture and Recreation in conjunction with provincial sports organizations.
Officials were in Carbonear late last week for the announcement of over $800,000 to go towards infrastructure for the 2012 Newfoundland and Labrador Summer Games being co-hosted by Carbonear and Harbour Grace. In this photo, from left, Carbonear Mayor Sam Slade, Carbonear-harbour Grace MHA Jerome Kennedy, Recreation Minister Derrick Dalley, Summer Games co-chair Milton Peach, Harbour Grace Mayor Don Coombs and Municipal Affairs Minister Kevin O’brien walk off the track at the Carbonear Recreation Complex, one of the facilities that will benefit from the infusion of money.