Ma­jor prop­erty loss averted

Fresh­wa­ter res­i­dent praised for re­sponse fol­low­ing shed fire

The Compass - - FRONT PAGE - BY TERRY ROBERTS THE COM­PASS

A quick-think­ing Fresh­wa­ter res­i­dent who used a gar­den hose to spray water onto a home as a nearby shed burned to the ground May 22 is be­ing cred­ited for help­ing avert a ma­jor loss of prop­erty.

Adam His­cock lives not far from Cur­tis and Anne Pynn, and was one of the first on the scene af­ter sev­eral small ex­plo­sions rocked the tiny com­mu­nity and the Pynns’ shed went up in flames.

His­cock pulled an all-ter­rain ve­hi­cle and a bar­be­cue away from the burn­ing shed, and then stood by for what he fig­ures was about 15 min­utes, spray­ing water onto the side of the Pynns’ home. It got so hot that His­cock had to turn the hose onto him­self at times.

“He re­ally saved the house from any m a j o r dam­age,” s a i d Ed Ka­vanagh, chief of the Car­bon­ear Vol­un­teer Fire Depart­ment.

His­cock was in his fa­ther’s garage, re­pair­ing his mo­tor­cy­cle when he was told about the fire. He ran the short dis­tance to the Pynn prop­erty, and said fire was al­ready surging out through the shed win­dow.

“I yelled out to (neigh­bour) Gerry Strong to stretch out the gar­den hose. I said ‘ if we don’t get some water on it, she’s go­ing to catch.’ The sid­ing was al­ready start­ing to melt. I stayed there un­til the fire depart­ment ar­rived.”

His­cock es­ti­mates the shed is about 15 feet, or 4.5 me­tres, from the home.

“I’m pretty sure it would have caught,” he said.

And this wasn’t just any house. Adam’s late grand­fa­ther, Ge­orge His­cock, once owned the prop­erty.

“I didn’t want to look down from my house and not see any­thing there,” said the 27-year-old.

Chief Ka­vanagh said the depart­ment re­ceived the emer­gency call at about 5 p.m., and the first unit was on the scene about five min­utes later.

Only the frame of the shed was still stand­ing when the depart­ment ar­rived, and the sid­ing was melted off one side of the Pynns’ home. A sec­ond home also sus­tained some heat dam­age, said Ka­vanagh.

Ka­vanagh sus­pects the fire was “gas re­lated,” and expressed re­lief there were no in­juries.

The in­ci­dent oc­curred on one of the hottest days this year, with tem­per­a­tures hov­er­ing around 30 C.

The Vic­to­ria fire depart­ment also re­sponded.

ed­i­tor@cb­n­com­pass.ca

Photo by Terry Roberts/the Com­pass

Vol­un­teers with the Car­bon­ear Fire Depart­ment are seen dous­ing hot spots fol­low­ing a shed fire in Fresh­wa­ter on May 22.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.