Sus­pect in cus­tody af­ter at­tempted armed rob­bery in Car­bon­ear


A 32-year-old Car­bon­ear man was taken into cus­tody last Thurs­day morn­ing, Aug. 2, and was sched­uled to ap­pear in pro­vin­cial court in St. John’s Fri­day, Aug. 3,

while Trin­ity Con­cep­tion Dis­trict RCMP continue their in­ves­ti­ga­tion into a com­plaint of an at­tempted armed rob­bery at a res­i­dence on Church Street, Car­bon­ear the night be­fore. Po­lice re­ceived the call around 9:16 p.m. Wed­nes­day, Aug. 1.

Sgt. Marc Coulombe said, “the 28-year-old (rob­bery) vic­tim, also from Car­bon­ear, was in his garage when the sus­pect en­tered and ac­cused the vic­tim of ow­ing (him) money.

The RCMP’s me­dia re­la­tions of­fi­cer said, a strug­gle took place be­tween the two and it is al­leged the sus­pect at­tempted to steal jew­elry the vic­tim was wear­ing.

“Dur­ing the al­ter­ca­tion the sus­pect pulled some­thing from his waist which the vic­tim was able to knock out of his hand. Wit­nesses ar­rived at the garage and the sus­pect was told to leave,” the RCMP spokesman re­ported.

“(Be­fore) leav­ing the sus­pect re­trieved what ap­peared to be a hand­gun. Po­lice de­ter­mined the sus­pect had re­turned to his home.”

RCMP cor­doned off the area while their Emer­gency Re­sponse Team, Po­lice Dog Ser­vice, Cri­sis Ne­go­tia­tors and In­ci­dent Com­mand were be­ing dis­patched to the scene, Sgt. Coulombe said.

The cri­sis ne­go­tia­tor con­tacted the sus­pect by tele­phone and con­vinced him to sur­ren­der peace­fully to the po­lice, which he did with­out in­ci­dent.

RCMP searched two res­i­dences and sev­eral weapons were con­fis­cated, in­clud­ing a small pis­tol air gun, which ap­pears to be the one used dur­ing the rob­bery. Other weapons in­clud­ing, a .38 cal­iber re­volver, a shot­gun and other long weapons were seized.

Sgt. Coulombe as­sured the pub­lic, “at no time dur­ing this event was the safety of the pub­lic at risk.”


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.