$2.8 million for water, sewer, road work in Port de Grave area
Some $2.8 million in taxpayers’ money is being spent on various infrastructure projects around the Port de Grave district.
The Town of Bay Roberts will carry out water and sewer upgrades in various locations throughout the town. Clarke’s Beach will begin water and sewer upgrades. Makinsons will upgrade its water system. And Upper Island Cove will improve and pave local roads.
The provincial government is providing 80 per cent of the total project cost for the Town of Bay Roberts and 90 per cent towards the work in Clarke’s Beach, Makinsons and Upper Island Cove.
Provided through the 2012 municipal capital works program and the 2012-14 multi-year capital works program, funding for such projects is cost-shared based on population. Towns like Bay Roberts with populations between 3,000 and 7,000 receive 80 per cent of the cost, and are responsible for the remaining 20 per cent, while those with under 3,000 citizens, like Clarke’s Beach, Makinsons and Upper Island Cove receive 90 per cent, and pick up the 10 per cent balance.
Describing it as a “significant investment,” Port-deGrave MHA Glenn Littlejohn said in a prepared press release: “Investments like these directly benefit residents through access to safe drinking water and improved water and sewer services.”
In the same prepared joint statement, Municipal Affairs Minister Kevin O’Brien stated: “Our government is pleased to work in partnership with communities by providing cost-shared funding to enable them to deliver services to residents,”
The Gander MHA noted, “this year’s investment of $2.8 million will result in various upgrades to water, sewer and roads in this area.”