Whiteway church marks centennial
Original place of worship opened on Aug. 25, 1912
The Whiteway United Church congregation celebrated its 100th anniversary on Aug. 25 with a banquet at the Whiteway Memorial Centre. Many past clergy and other congregation officials brought greetings and best wishes on what was described as an historic milestone.
The then-Methodist Church in Whiteway was opened on Aug. 25, 1912 by Rev. T. W Atkinson.
The following are some firsts for the church:
• Sept. 29, 1912 — first baby baptized was Effie (Rowe) Jackson;
• Oct. 25, 1912 — first burial service was for Wm. Legge, a resident of Heart’s Delight;
• Dec. 7, 1915 — first marriage ceremony involved Joseph Pottle of Whiteway and Harriett Worthman of Green’s Harbour.
The original church was replaced and a new place of worship — St. Andrew’s United Church — was dedicated during a special service on Oct. 16, 1977 by Rev. Arthur Elliot. Declaration of the dedication was done by Rev. Fred Bradbury. The dedication ceremony took place nearly a decade after the sod turning ceremony was conducted by Rev. A. S. Butt.
The mortgage for the new church was paid off in late 1981, and was marked by a mortgage burning ceremony on Oct. 18 that was led by Rev. Eric Hillier and Fred Burgess.
Tracy Temple, daughter of Melvin and Elva Temple, was the first child baptized in the new church. Sam Chislett of Islington and Marion Legge of Whiteway were the first couple to exchange wedding vows.
The first burial service was for Clayton Rowe.
In the century since the church was established in Whiteway, 31 different ministers have served the pastoral charge, including two who served two terms. Two students were ordained while serving on the charge. The first female minister arrived in 1992, and since then, six of the nine ministers have been female.
The following is a list of clergy,
dating back to 1912:
• 1912-1965 — Rev. T. W. Atkinson (1912-1915); Rev. R. S. Smith (19151920); Rev. Isaac French (1920-1924); Mr. George Patten (1924-1928); Rev. J. T. Clarke (1928-1931); Rev. Thomas Pitcher (1931-1937); Rev. Isaac French (1937-1939); Rev. A. N. Holmes (1939-1943); Rev. H. E. P. Short (1943-1945); Mr. George Huxter (1945-1946); Rev. John Evans (1946-1948); Rev. R. J. Morgan (19481950); Rev. R. G. Gillingham (19501952); Rev. Thomas Moulton (19521955); Rev. K. L. Feltham (1955-1956); Mr. Henry Price (1956-1961); Mr. Fred Hickman (1961-1965);
• 1965-present — Rev. F. John Adams (1965-1970); Rev. Ernest Parsons (1970-1971); Rev. Phillip Jarvis (1971-1976); Rev. Arthur Elliott (1976-1978); Rev. John Curry (19781981); Rev. Eric Hillier (1981-1982); Rev. Fred Hickman (1982-1987); Rev. Joan Berge (1987-1992); Mr. Greg Davis (Rev.) (1992-1994); Ms. Wendy
Cronheim (Rev.) (1994- 1996); Rev. Nancy Warder (19962002); Rev. W. M. Mercer (2002-2005); Rev. Harry Whithorne (2005-2006); Rev. Roberta Bungay (2006-2008); Mrs. Elsie Pottle (2008-2011); and Rev. Terrie Burry (2011-present).
About the United Church of Canada — protestant Christian denomination and that is second only to the Roman Catholic Church as the largest Christian church in Canada. Was founded in 1925 as a merger of four protestant denominations: the Methodist Church of Canada, the Congregational Union of Ontario and Quebec, two-thirds of the congregations of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, and the Association of Local Union Churches. According to United Church statistics for 2008, there are about 525,000 members and 2.8 million adherents, and roughly 200,000 people attend services in 3,362 pastoral charges on
a regular basis.
This photo of St. Andrew’s United Church was taken on Aug. 26 as the bell was being rung announcing the anniversary service. Rev. Terrie Burry, the current minister for St. Andrew’s United Church, cut the
The original church bell was donated by Rev. Atkinson. This bell was in storage for about 40 years. When the original church was torn down the bell was stored. Earlier this summer, a new belfry was built and the bell was brought back into service and rung for the first time in over 40 years on Sunday, Aug. 26 for the 100th anniversary
Rev. Elsie Pottle was MC for the anniversary celebration. Rev. Pottle served as minister at St. Andrews from 2008-2011.
The anniversary cake.