Local dogs take top awards
Harbour Grace dog shows attracts prized canines
Two locally owned canines took top awards at this year’s annual dog shows held in Harbour Grace over the Labour Day weekend.
Lily, a two-year-old female West Highland white terrier named Champion Wow Dashwood of Surprise, was chosen best-in-show No. 177 on Sunday, Sept. 2.
Faye Andrews of Harbour Grace imported the award-winning white terrier from Hungary.
Paul Odenkirchen of Ontario, who served as judge for the show, also chose a locally owned English cocker spaniel as best puppy in the same show.
Jagger, a 10-month-old male English cocker spaniel named Champion Especially Moves Like Jagger, is owned by Laura Lee Hiscock and Faye Andrews, both of Harbour Grace.
Hosted by the Conception Bay Kennel Club, the 53rd annual Dog Shows were held at the S.W. Moores Memorial Stadium Sept. 1 and 2.
Club spokesman Albert Legge said four shows were held over the two-day schedule, with show Nos. 175 and 176 taking place Saturday and Nos. 177 and 178 on Sunday.
Legge, who serves as club treasurer, said an average of 86 dogs were entered in each show. While most dog owners bring their prized animals to the show from the St. John’s area and around the Avalon, the Harbour Grace shows also attract entries from across the province. While the event used to attract entries from the mainland of Canada and the U.S., those num- bers have declined in recent years, due largely to the escalating costs of travel.
The Conception Bay Kennel Club has been organizing and hosting the annual dog shows since their inception in 1959.
Other top award winners were:
• Best in Show No. 175 – a four-and-a-half year-old male named Akita - Champion Beardusk’s Darkest Hour owned by Ed Wilson of Portugal Cove – judged Carol Graham of Alberta
• Best Puppy in Show No. 175 – a ninemonth-old female Great Dane, Soul Trublood Queen of Hearts, owned by Jennifer and Michael Hayley of St. John’s. Carol Graham of Alberta acted as judge for that show.
• Best in Show 176 – a two-year-old female, long coat Chihuahua - Champion Pastel Manorborn Let’s Dance, owned by Regina Caspar Coultas and Dave Coultas of Paradise.
• Best Puppy in Show 176 – a nine-monthold female Great Dane, Soul Trublood Queen of Hearts, owned by Jennifer and Michael Hayley of St. John’s. Sue Ellyn Rempel of Manitoba served as judge for this show.
• Best in Show 178 – Lily, a Whippet, owned by Jackie Power of Mount Pearl.
• Best Puppy in Show 178 – an eight-monthold male, west Highland white terrier, DunKeller’s Celtic Knight, owned by Mary Dunphy of St. John’s. Thomas Touzel of Ontario acted as judge for this show.