Eas­ier ac­cess to child ben­e­fit pro­grams

The Compass - - ORTHTE -

A new in­te­grated birth reg­is­tra­tion ser­vice has been an­nounced by the fed­eral and pro­vin­cial gov­ern­ments to make it eas­ier for New­found­land and Labrador par­ents to ap­ply for ben­e­fits for their new­borns.

Ser­vice NL Min­is­ter Nick McGrath and Kel­lie Leitch, par­lia­men­tary sec­re­tary to Diane Fin­ley, min­is­ter of hu­man re­sources and skills devel­op­ment, an­nounced the new ser­vice to­day which bun­dles the So­cial In­surance Num­ber (SIN), Canada child ben­e­fits, Med­i­cal Care Plan (MCP) and Pro­vin­cial Parental Ben­e­fits Pro­gram.

In one sim­ple step, Leitch said par­ents will be able to reg­is­ter their child’s birth and ap­ply for their child’s SIN and Canada child ben­e­fits.

“The birth of a child can be both joy­ful and stress­ful for par­ents, so we are pleased to be able to sim­plify a small part of that,” said McGrath. “By in­te­grat­ing our ap­pli­ca­tion sys­tems, we are re­duc­ing red tape and par­ents will have eas­ier ac­cess to Government of Canada and Gov­ernme n t o f New­found­land and Labrador pro­grams.”

Canada child ben­e­fits in­clude the Canada Child Tax Ben­e­fit, the Uni­ver­sal Child Care Benef it, the GST/HST credit and the New­found­land and Labrador Child Ben­e­fit. The Pro­vin­cial Parental Ben­e­fits Pro­gram in­cludes the Pro­gres­sive Fam­ily Growth Ben­e­fit and the Parental Sup­port Ben­e­fit.

With their child’s SIN, par­ents can also open a Reg­is­tered Ed­u­ca­tion Sav­ings Plan and then ap­ply for other Government of Canada ben­e­fits such as the Canada Ed­u­ca­tion Sav- ings Grant and the Canada Learn­ing Bond.

More in­for­ma­tion on the in­te­grated process for birth reg­is­tra­tion and other pro­vin­cial ben­e­fits is avail­able on the Ser­vice NL web­site at www.ser­vi­cenl.gov.nl.ca or through re­gional Government Ser­vice Cen­tres.

For gen­eral in­quiries about Canada child ben­e­fits, visit the CRA web­site at www.cra.gc.ca/aba or call 1-800-387-1193.

For more in­for­ma­tion on the SIN, visit ser­vice­canada.gc.ca, call 1 800 O-Canada or 1-800-926-9105 if you use a tele­type­writer (TTY).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.