Clarke’s Beach man facing child pornography charges
A police spokesman said Friday that a 42-year-old male resident of Clarke’s Beach who was arrested Feb. 28 on allegations he was in possession of child pornography had been on their radar for about a year.
Officers with the Trinity Conception District RCMP, in co-operation with the RCMP’s Internet Child Exploitation Unit, which is based in Gander, arrested the accused outside his residence on Thursday, just after 5 p.m.
The accused was brought to the attention of the RCMP in this province by the Toronto Police Service as part of an international investigation dubbed Project Spade.
Police suspect the man of purchasing “suspicious videos” from a business in Toronto.
The RCMP received evidence on the accused in February 2012, and it took some time to analyze the information, said a police official.
A computer and other accessories were seized from his residence. These items will be analyzed by an RCMP technological crime investigator.
He appeared in provincial court in Harbour Grace Friday to face one charge of possession of child pornography (videos). He was released on strict conditions, and is schedule to make another appearance on April 12.
While the man’s identity is now a matter of public record with the court, the RCMP has requested that it be withheld because of the potential impact on his alleged victims, and also for his own safety.
“This is a very sensitive subject,” said a police spokesman.
The charge was described by police as “very serious,” with a conviction that could bring a maximum sentence of up to five years in prison.
The accused is not considered to be a threat to public safety, say police.