Re­vis­it­ing ‘67

Look­ing back at the last time the Herder fi­nal was in Har­bour Grace


When the CeeBee Stars wel­come the Clarenville Cari­bous to the S.W. Moores Me­mo­rial Sta­dium for Game 3 of the Herder Me­mo­rial Tro­phy fi­nal on March 15, it will mark the first time in over 40 years that the his­toric tro­phy has been con­tested in Har­bour Grace.

While the CeeBees made the Herder fi­nal in seven of the last eight years, home games were played at Mile One Cen­tre in St. John’s.

In 1967, the CeeBees squared off with the Gan­der Fly­ers in the fi­nal, with the CeeBees tak­ing a fourgames-to-one win in the best-of­seven pro­vin­cial se­nior hockey se­ries.

A lot has changed since the Herder fi­nal was last played in Har­bour Grace. For one, the S.W. Moores has un­der­gone a rad­i­cal trans­for­ma­tion.

There was no glass on the boards in 1967, there was only some wire mesh be­hind the goals.

“Peo­ple were just lean­ing over the boards,” re­mem­bers backup goal­tender Doug Moores.

Also, there was not a non-smok­ing ban in ef­fect.

Moores said that by the third pe­riod, it got harder to see the score­board for the smoke that was ac­cu­mu­lat­ing at the top of the sta­dium.

The CeeBees had fin­ished sec­ond in the six-team league with 46 points in 40 games, while the Fly­ers were the top team that year with 53 points. The Cor­ner Brook Roy­als were third with 45 points and the Buchans Min­ers grabbed the fi­nal play­off spot with 39 points. The team from Grand Falls fin­ished fifth with 33 points, fol­lowed by the St. John’s Cap­i­tals, who had 24 points.

The fi­nal se­ries would fea­ture four of the top five scor­ers in the league, in­clud­ing Gan­der’s Mike Kelly and Jacques Al­lard and the CeeBees’ Ge­orge Faulkner and Jim Dawe.

The se­ries

The first game was played at the old Gan­der Gar­dens. Joe Hunt re­mem­bers the games with the Fly­ers as “in­tense” and that there were a num­ber of CeeBees fans in the build­ing.

“We had a strong fol­low­ing,” he said.

The CeeBees struck first in the se­ries with a 6-3 vic­tory. The sto­ried fran­chise got goals from Gerry La­hey, Bern Fitz­patrick and Carl Pen­ney in over­time, while La­hey, Ge­orge Faulkner and Peter Babb scored in reg­u­la­tion. Al­lard, J.C. Garneau and Ron Kelly replied for the Fly­ers.

Game 2 was much of the same for the CeeBees. La­hey and Fitz­patrick had two goals each for the CeeBees, while sin­gles came from Faulkner, Jim Dawe, Pen­ney and Don Crane. Harry Ka­trynuk (2) and Gerry Clouster had goals for the Fly­ers, who suf­fered a 8-3 de­feat. The CeeBees left Gan­der with a 2-0 se­ries lead.

Hunt, who played de­fence with Faulkner, said his team had a “strong for­ward group” that helped push the team to vic­tory.

“We had some really ex­cel­lent play­ers that were hard to play against,” he said.

When the se­ries shifted back to Har­bour Grace the Fly­ers were treated to a rau­cous crowd.

“It was a fan­tas­tic at­mos­phere,” said Moores.

In those days, it was hard to get a ticket to any of the CeeBees games, whether they were reg­u­lar sea­son or play­off games.

“They’d be hang­ing from

the rafters when we played at home,” said Hunt.

An­other 8-3 win pro­pelled the CeeBees to a 3-0 stran­gle­hold on the se­ries. Faulkner picked up four points in the game with two goals and two as­sists. Dawe also scored twice, while Fitzger­ald had a goal and three as­sists. Jim Pen­ney, La­hey and Carl Pen­ney also had goals for the CeeBees.

Mike Kelly had two for the Fly­ers, while Al­lard added the other.

The Fly­ers came out hard in the fourth game. Fac­ing elim­i­na­tion, Gan­der pulled out a 3-1 vic­tory, get­ting goals from Leo Kane (2) and Al­lard. Fitz­patrick scored for the CeeBees.

Moores said that de­spite los­ing by two goals, starter Gary ‘the Co­bra’ Sim­mons was on top of his game, stop­ping 51 shots in the game.

“He could’ve stopped an as­pirin that night,” he said. “Sim­mons was ar­guably the top goal­tender in the province.”

In Game 5, the se­ries shifted back to Gan­der and the CeeBees would end it there. Get­ting goals from La­hey (2), Fitz­patrick, Jim Pen­ney and Dawe, the CeeBees won 5-4, cap­tur­ing the team’s fourth Herder Me­mo­rial Tro­phy of the 1960s. Al­lard had a hat trick in the game and Ron Kelly had the other for the Fly­ers. “It was wicked,” said Hunt. Moores pulled off an im­pres­sive feat that week. Prior to be­ing a part of the CeeBees’ Herder win, he back­stopped the Beothucks in the St. John’s Se­nior League on March 22, the day be­fore the CeeBees vic­tory.

“It was never done be­fore and hasn’t been done since,” said Moores.

With the vic­tory, the CeeBees would be­come the first team from New­found­land and Labrador to rep­re­sent the province at the Al­lan Cup, fin­ish­ing with a 1-3 record at the Cana­dian men’s se­nior hockey cham­pi­onships.

The present-day CeeBees will be look­ing for sim­i­lar success when it wel­comes the Cari­bous for Game 3 on Fri­day (March 15) at 8 p.m. Game 4 is sched­uled for March 16 at 7:30 p.m., while Game 5 (if nec­es­sary) will go March 17 at 2 p.m.


Submitted photo

Here is a photo of the 1967 Con­cep­tion Bay North CeeBees team that cap­tured the Herder Me­mo­rial Tro­phy that year. It would be the last team to com­pete for the cov­eted tro­phy at the S.W. Moores Me­mo­rial Sta­dium in Har­bour Grace for 40-plus years. Mem­bers of the team are shown in the pic­ture.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.