They have skills at Ascension
Bay Roberts school captures ninth team Skills Canada banner in 10 years
Ascension Collegiate in Bay Roberts has continued its dominance at the Skills Canada Newfoundland and Labrador competition.
On April 12, the team from Ascension claimed the top spot among secondary schools at the 16th competition at the College of the North Atlantic-Prince Philip Drive campus in St. John’s.
The win marked the ninth time in 10 years that Ascension has captured the coveted team banner.
This year, the school brought home a basketful of medals, including three gold, three silver and one bronze. The total of seven medals matched last year’s haul of seven medals — five gold and two silver.
Skills Canada Newfoundland and Labrador welcomed over 300 competitors from across the province in trade, technology and employability skills competitions, handing out some 90 medals in the process.
Those who captured gold medals are entitled to positions on the provincial team that will travel to Vancouver, British Columbia on June 5-8.
Chris Deering, a Level III student at Ascen- sion, was a member of the robotics team that captured a silver medal at the competition.
“It feels unbelievable to represent Ascension so well, even though we didn’t win our individual robotics competition, it’s good to know we contributed overall,” said Deering.
The following, meanwhile, is a breakdown of the medal winners:
• Erica Badcock (Ascension Collegiate) — gold medal, job search (secondary);
• Brandon Trzeciak (Carbonear Collegiate) — gold medal, IT network systems administration (secondary);
• Jared Petten (Ascension Collegiate) — gold medal, IT software solutions for business (secondary);
• Jessie Downey and Hilary Pauls (Ascension Collegiate) — gold medal, 2D computer animation-team of two (secondary);
• Christa Langer (Keyin College) — silver medal, hairstyling (post-secondary);
• Chris Deering, Coady Lane, Andrew Mercer and Michael Vokey (Ascension Collegiate) — silver medal, robotics, team of two (secondary);
• Jordan Marshall (Ascension Collegiate) — silver medal, IT network systems administration (secondary);
• Mackenzie Collins (Amalgamated Academy) — silver medal, public speaking (secondary);
• Elizabeth Hicks (Carbonear Collegiate) — bronze medal, public speaking (secondary);
• Kyle Downey and Nicholas Petten (Ascension Collegiate) — bronze medal, television production-team of four (secondary).
Ascension Collegiate in Bay Roberts captured its ninth team banner in 10 years at the Skills Canada Newfoundland and Labrador competition in St. John’s on April 12. Members of the team are: front (l-r) — Andrew Mercer, Kyle Downey, Nicholas Petten, Allison Christopher, Robyn King and Adrienne Deering; middle — Jessie Downey and Hilary Pauls; back — Chris Deering, Josh Coombs, Jared Petten, Erica Badcock, Michael Vokey and Jordan Marshall. Missing from photo are Cody Lane, Zoe Wilkins and Chris Smith.