Who was who in Spaniard’s Bay – 1957
Who was who in Spaniard’s Bay in 1957? There are several ways to answer this question, one being to consult the Avalon Telephone Company directory for that year. Of course, not everyone owned a phone, but the town’s demography can be partly determined by this simple method. “Phone books,” as directories are generally called, list, among other categories, businesses, clergy, churches, residents, doctors and schools.
The Avalon Telephone Company was formed in 1919 by John J. Murphy, his son Robert J. Murphy, and J.D. Cameron. Shortly after, the company purchased Western Union’s telephone system in St. John’s. In 1921, the company’s first long distance line was installed between the capital city and Carbonear. On Nov. 27, the first long distance calls were placed from St. John’s to Brigus and Harbour Grace.
By the end of 1952, Avalon Telephone had 2,890 telephones in service on the Avalon Peninsula, outside St. John’s. In 1957, the same year as the focus of the present column, the
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
company became a member of the Trans-Canada Telephone System. A year later, the company installed its first microwave system, linking St. John’s with Bell Island and Bay Roberts.
In th e following l isting for Spaniard’s Bay in 1957, phone numbers are given in brackets.
Businesses include Avalon Stores (1258). The town had two Pay Stations, Barrett (26F2) and Sheppard (1573). Brazil Brothers dealt in groceries, confectionery, ice cream, meats, etc. (1420). Both Canadian National Railway (1242) and Canadian National Telegraphs (1216) were resident in Spaniard’s Bay. Warehouse and retail store, H.J. Gregory (1416), carried a complete line of dry goods, and agents regularly visited all
By the end of 1952, Avalon Telephone had 2,890 telephones in service on the Avalon Peninsula, outside St. John’s. In 1957, the same year as the focus of the present column, the company became a member of the TransCanada Telephone System. A year later, the company installed its first microwave system, linking St. John’s with
Bell Island and Bay Roberts.
of eastern Newfoundland. The wellknown family name, Gosse, operated Mark Gosse & Sons (1157, 1226) and Gosse’s Garage (1425). L. & H. Noseworthy operated a garage (6F6, residence 1396). Another business was H.W. Sheppard & Sons (1237).
Canon Loder resided at the Church of England Rectory (1320).
Family names include the following:
• BARRETT, Cyril (1231), Fred (26F22), Leander (26F3), Maisie (1501);
• BISHOP, Drover (6F23), Henry (6F4); • CAIN, Thomas (1443); • CLARKE, George (6F11); • COLLINS, Edward (1442); • COOMBS, Thomas (6F13); • DAWE, David (1359); • DROVER, Herbert (6F14), Lewis (6F12); • GARDNER, Arthur (1473); • GOSSE, A.R. (155), Calvin (1160), Cecil W. (1279), Ebenezer (1390), Elmer (1506), Mrs. Eugene (1163), Eugene (1271), Fannie (1472), Harold (1424), Israel (6F8), James (1209), Lincoln (1579), Mark (1164), Martin (1358), Solomon (1486); • HATCHER, Clifton (1420); • HUTCHINGS, Allan ( 1578), Dewey (1450); • MERCER, Nath (1531); • MURRIN, Lawrence (1234), W.J. (1451); • NEAL, Bert (1391), Josiah (1572); • OAKE, Harry (1427); • PEDDLE, Joseph (1530); • PIKE, Gordon (1421), Henry (1487); • REID, Harrison (1277); • SHEPPARD, Mrs. Harry (1426), Isaac (residence 1548, store 1549), Mrs. Levi ( 1507), Louis ( 1228), Richard (1500), Victor (1381), Winston (1380);
• SMITH, Albert (1395), Moses (1185), William (1294); • SULLIVAN, William (1554); • VOKEY, Harvey (1394); • WHALEN, William (26F14); • YETMAN, Captain Selby (1417); • YOUNG, Gordon Young (26F7). — Burton K. Janes lives in Bay Roberts. His column appears in The Compass every week. He can be reached at