INTERESTING TIDBITS ABOUT THE BUCKLES:
• When a ferry was unable to take them from La Poile to Port aux Basques for Easter break, they took their 18-month old son on a fish processing boat — The June and Bernice — to Rose Blanche. The boat sank the very next day;
• The couple jokes that two-piece chicken meals or “snack packs” and strawberry milkshakes are how Ron won Janet’s heart;
• Both teachers only have two classroom rules. The first is to obey the previous teacher’s rules. The second is to never leave the classroom without a smile on your face;
• Ron and Janet worked together for 25 of their 31 years;
• Ron has taught every grade and has been a teaching principal. He taught one child in kindergarten in Monkstown and Janet created his lesson plans;
• Students and their parents have always referred to the couple as Mr. and Mrs. Buckle. They have never been called by their first names;
• Ron changed his major in Memorial University from business administration to education because he thought he would get summers, term breaks and holidays off. To his surprise, he didn’t. They often prepared lesson plans and kept up-todate on the latest teaching trends during their vacations.