The Games legacy continues
It’s been almost a year since the 2012 Newfoundland and Labrador Summer Games took place in Carbonear and Harbour Grace, but members of the host committee is still completing their final tasks.
On June 18 at Fong’s Motel and Restaurant in Carbonear, committee co-chairs Joey George and Milton Peach, and treasurer Cindy Goff, presented a cheque worth some $52,000 to Carbonear Mayor Sam Slade and Harbour Grace Deputy Mayor Terry Barnes.
This money is a contribution to the Legacy Fund of the Games, a project started during the last time the area hosted the event — 1992.
The fund has helped provide bursaries and scholarships to local athletes to continue their education or advance their athletic endeavours.
George said the money is hopefully going to be used for a broader purpose, and may also help these athletes pay for trips or to attend events they may not normally be able to afford.
Although recipients from last year’s event have not been selected, a committee is being established to help determine the deserving and dedicated athletes that will recieve financial assistance towards their future goals.
George said sponsorships for the Games were the main reason the donation was so large, but the sub-committees were also significantly responsible.
“All directors had budgets and 85 per cent of the committees brought their expenditures in under those budgets.”
The money will be distributed to athletes from every year the games are held so many of them have the opportunity to benefit from it.
The next Summer Games event will take place in 2016 in Conception Bay South.