Scholarship program seeking female achievers
The deadline is approaching for the 2013 Miss Achievement Newfoundland and Labrador Scholarship Program, a showcase event that was created to celebrate the achievements, academics, physical fitness, performing arts, volunteer work and community service of the province’s young women.
Since its inception in 2006, over $70,000 in educational scholarships have been awarded.
The pageant has been host to young women from all across the province from Bay Roberts to Spanish Room to Port Hope Simpson to Makkovik.
Former titleholders have gone on to enter medical school, been published for academic research, volunteered in Africa doing relief work and have even began careers in the education field.
“Miss Achievement Newfoundland and Labrador promotes positive character development, community awareness, and encourages the personal and professional growth that produces positive role models,” said Lori Caines, board member and Miss Newfoundland and Labrador 2001.
Other board members include Kathy Dicks-Peyton, Joanne March, Anne Chatman, Arlene O’Keefe and Robert O’Keefe.
Scoring consists of an interview, public speaking competition, academic test and healthy living test worth 90 per cent prior to the pageant gala. The onstage consists of an introduction and an eveningwear segment worth the remaining 10 per cent.
The Top-10 finalists must answer an impromptu question worth an additional 10 percent.
This year’s winner will be crowned by outgoing Miss Achievement Newfoundland and Labrador, Kandice Power of Paradise.
Young women between the ages of 13 and 18 that are interested in competing can call 709-895-8588, visit their Facebook page or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for application submissions is Sept. 30 for the Nov. 7-10 event.
For more, visit www.missachievement.com.