Waste recovery site opens in region
CBN residents already taking advantage of drop-off site
A new waste recovery facility was officially opened at the old incinerator site near Harbour Grace on Nov. 30, allowing area residents to drop off bulk items and hopefully reduce the amount of illegal dumping in the region. The facility cost some $465,000, and is open Tuesday and Thursday from noon to 4 p.m., and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
When Harold Mercer of Upper Island Cove began building his shed, there was nowhere in the area to drop off his bulk garbage. Once the job was near completion, he would have to bring the broken drywall and excess construction materials to Robin Hood Bay in St. John’s, or pay a private contractor to pick it up.
Luckily for Mercer, that is no longer necessary.
The Waste Recovery Facility built in Harbour Grace officially opened Nov. 30, just as he was completing his shed.
“I think it’s great,” Mercer told The Compass as he dropped off his materials to the site Tuesday, Dec. 3.
It was his first trip to the facility, but unlikely to be his last.
Mercer explained he was happy to see a place to bring large items, such as old mattresses, electronics, appliances, tires and construction material.
Mercer has a cabin along “the Old Track,” and he said there were always couches and
Everybody either has a truck or knows someone with a truck. There’s no excuse now to leave (bulk garbage) everywhere.
— Harold Mercer
New facility opened
other bulk items left nearby. He was happy to see people now have a place to drop it off.
“Everybody either has a truck or knows someone with a truck,” he said. “There’s no excuse now to leave (bulk garbage) everywhere.”
One worker on site confirmed there were some 50 vehicles dropping off bulk waste on opening day, and by 2 p.m. Tuesday, another 15 had been by.
In August, Eastern Waste Management confirmed a tender had been approved to demolish the former Harbour Grace incinerator site, and build the waste recovery facility.
The total cost for the facility was some $465,000, including demolition of the previous building, site engineering and construction of the new facility. That $500,000 estimate.
On Nov. 30, eager local leaders flocked to the new drop-off site in below freezing temperatures for a ribbon-cutting ceremony. The ceremony was quick to let those involved get back to their vehicles and warm up.
Among those on hand were Harbour Grace Mayor Terry Barnes, Carbonear Mayor (acting) George Butt, Bay Roberts Mayor Philip Wood and Clarke’s Beach Mayor Betty Moore, along with many municipal councillors. The chairperson of the Cavendish Local Service District, Joy Dobbie-Bishop, was also on hand, as was Port de Grave MHA Glenn Littlejohn.
is less than the initial
Two part-time workers have been hired for the site, one more than other facilities.
“There are two people on this site, which is twice the staffing that we normally have in place. We are anticipating that this site will service a higher volume of people than any of our other sites,” chief administrative officer of Eastern Waste Management Ken Kelly wrote The Compass in an email.
Hours of operation are Tuesday and Thursday from noon to 4 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The facility is located on Incinerator Road, off Veterans Memorial Highway between Harbour Grace and Carbonear.
The site is for resident’s use only, mainly servicing those from Marysvale to Perry’s Cove. Contractors will not be able to avail of the drop site.
Several locations are serving other areas of the Avalon Peninsula, including a site in Old Perlican, Placentia, Cavendish, Bay Bulls, Sunnyside, St. Joseph’s and Renews/Cappahayden. Another facility is in the works for Whitbourne, but no timeframe was available for the expected opening.
Harold Mercer dropped off bulk garbage left over from building a shed at the Waste Recovery Facility in Harbour Grace Tuesday Dec. 3.