Ascension Collegiate shines spotlight on top students
Bay Roberts school hands out some $120,000 in awards
Ascension Collegiate in Bay Roberts honoured its best and brightest at its annual awards night on Dec. 16. The school handed out some $120,000 in awards, which included $17,000 given out internally. The number far eclipses the $80,000 given out to students in 2012.
The big winner of the evening was 2012-13 graduate Danielle St. Croix.
The 18-year-old took home an armful of awards including the highly coveted Governor General’s Award as the top Level III student in the graduating class.
The Governor General’s award is considered by many as the most prestigious award given to a student in Canadian schools.
When Danielle arrived at Ascension, receiving the award was the farthest thing from her mind.
“I had no idea,” she said. “It was a complete surprise. A pleasant surprise.”
Danielle said her time at Ascension helped prepare for her goal of working in the medical field. She is completing her first year of university studies at the College of the North Atlantic with hopes of getting into the pharmacy program in the future. In total, Danielle brought home $8,052. She is the daughter of Wanda Noonan and Dodd St. Croix of Bishop’s Cove.
The Lions Club in Bay Roberts gave out a $1,000 in awards to the top-10 students in Level I and Level II.
The money will be distributed amongst the following: Marc LeGresley (Level I), Chelsea Coombs (Level I), Carla Bartlett (Level I), Holly Stone (Level I), Hannah Smith (Level I), Jessie Downey (Level I), Chelsea Thomas (Level I), Jared Loder (Level I), Caitlin Pike (Level I), Megan Adams (Level I), Joshua Thomas (Level II), Emily J. Peddle (Level II), Matthew Lane (Level II), Matthew French (Level II), Darci Ryan (Level II), Rebecca Sheppard (Level II), Courtney Piercey (Level II), Zoe Wilkins (Level II), Nicole Kennedy (Level II) and Amy Bishop (Level II).The following is a summary of the other awards and scholarships handed out last week:
• Danielle St. Croix — the Governor General award, Ivimey- Moores Shield (1st place in Level III), Stephen F. Russell scholarship (1st place academic excellence), Stephen V.P. Short Memorial award (1st place physics 2204), Wing’n It award (top Level III student), ConTri Retired Teachers Association scholarship, Atlantic Building Supply Dealer Association scholarship, College of the North Atlantic entrance scholarship, Fry Family Foundation Leadership award, NL Cheerleading Athletics Achievement scholarship;
• Amy Barrett — Stephen F. Russell scholarship (2nd place academic achievement), Friend of Ascension awards (1st place chemistry 3202), Town of Bay Roberts Award (academic achievement), the Jacob and Floral Morgan Scholarship, Electoral District of Harbour Main scholarship, tutoring for tuition, high school volunteer award;
• Michael Kennedy — Shad Valley Memorial University Entrance scholarship, Inspire Building Brighter Futures scholarship, National Union of Public Employees scholarship, NL Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture scholarship, Insurance Brokers Association of NL scholarship, NL Association of Public and Private Employees scholarships, Anglican Parish (St. Matthew’s Parish) award for academic excellence, SWASP tuition voucher, Bay Roberts Cultural Foundation scholarship (Newfoundland Studies), Ruth Mercer award (1st place Math 3205), Schulich Leadership scholarship;
• Jennifer Tarrant — MUN Endowment scholarship, Electoral District of Port de Grave scholarship, Cynthia Badcock Memorial Scholarship (literary scholar), Knights of Columbus Award for Academic Excellence, Royal Canadian Legion award (1st place English 3201);
• Katie Cranford — Jacob and Flora Morgan MUN Entrance scholarship, Electoral District of Port de Grave scholarship, Sun Chasers Award in memory of Heather McDonald (musical achievement), Stella Sheppard award (1st place French 3200), Jason Harding Memorial award (2nd place English 3201);
• Katie Power — MUN Entrance scholarship, Electoral District scholarship, Knights of Columbus State (provincial award), Eastern Health scholarship, Cynthia Badcock Memorial Scholarship (literary scholar), LOL Cupids Award for Academic Achievement, Royal Canadian Legion award (1st place English 3201);
• Kristen Downey — MUN Entrance scholarship, Centenary for Responsible Government, John Hurley Memorial scholarship, Shopper’s Drug Mart Award for Academic Achievement;
• Rebecca French — MUN Entrance scholarship, Eastern Education Foundation scholarship, Tutoring for Tuition, Jason Harding Memorial award (3rd place English 3201), Randall W. Collins Merit Exemplary award;
• Jessica Mercer — Centenary for Responsible Government, Anglican Parish (St. John the Evangelist Church) Award for Academic Achievement, Ashley Menchions Memorial Art scholarship for Level III student;
• Alexandra Wells — Clarence Gosse Scholarship for Academic Achievement;
Ascension Collegiate in Bay Roberts handed out more than $120,000 at its annual awards night on Dec. 16. Danielle St. Croix (sitting-left) was the top student in 2012-13, followed by Amy Barrett (sitting-right). Michael Kennedy (back-left) and Jennifer Tarrant tied for third place.