Warning from writer to those seeking homecare
This is a warning to all who have currently have, or may seek in the future, a home care worker.
Please follow these suggestions. They are written so you and or your family do not have to go through the agony we face currently.
• Hire from a reputable firm those who have verifiable references only.
• If possible, have police do a background check on the person before you hire them.
• Be sure whatever bank accounts or other financial documents, such as life insurance, are stored with a lawyer, public trustee or trusted family member and have a clause written up with a lawyer/trustee that you or a family member are to be notified should anyone attempt to change/alter said documents or attempt to use your bank account.
• Keep a watchful eye on your loved one and should they begin to alienate themselves from you, or exhibit strange behaviours such as changing phone numbers often, or get sick more often, contact the police.
• If they do anything that appears to be out of character for them, check it out immediately.
I won’t mention names, since I seek no retribution and only wish to warn others of difficulties we now face.
We just buried a loved one who arrived at our home in unkempt condition, unshaven, long hair. He had no money on him, no ID and the person who was ‘supposedly’ caring for him was outside the country on a trip and could not be reached.
He had been hospitalized earlier in the year when he almost died and we, the next of kin, were not notified.
Any attempt to reach him via telephone were met with “you got the wrong number.”
His financial affairs were all changed and he was broke, despite selling his property a year-and-a-half prior.
His worker closed his accounts and left us, a disabled couple, holding the bills for his funeral.