CBN man’s sentencing for child abuse set for December
Crown seeks over 2.5 years; defence suggests nine months
The man linked to a CBN child abuse case with ties to another matter that has already earned a woman a lengthy jail sentence will learn more about his own fate in early December.
What is known is that the man — who cannot be identified in order to protect the children involved — will not spend as much time in jail as his wife. She received a sentence last month of 12 years and 88 days for charges that include forcible confinement, corrupting the morals of children and willfully contributing to a child being in need of protective intervention.
Lawyers involved in his case recommended considerably shorter sentences at provincial court in Harbour Grace Monday. The man is not in custody and was in the courtroom.
He is convicted on seven counts of forcible confinement and a single count each of willfully contributing to a child being in need of protective intervention and breach of a recognizance. The latter charge relates to the man living with his wife after the court ordered him not to have contact with her.
Crown lawyer Lisa Stead recommended his sentence should exceed two years and eight months, suggesting two-year sentences for some of the forcible confinement charges be served concurrently to each other but consecutive to sentences for other charges.
Stead did not recommend sentences for the other forcible confinement charges, but did indicate they should be less severe.
Stead told Judge Jacqueline Brazil that the man had a chance to protect those children, but ultimately chose not to. She said when children are the victims of crimes of this nature, the court needs to react with a strong sentence to denounce those acts and deter others.
The man’s defence lawyer suggested a nine-month sentence is more appropriate. Jason Edwards told the court his client feared his wife. While he admitted such an issue should not be considered a defence against conviction , Edwards argued the judge should factor it into sentencing. He also argued the forcible confinement charges should all be served concurrently.
Brazil will render her decision on sentencing Dec. 2.