The life and times of a stadium potato
• Brown bag full of No. 1 white potatoes travels from Prince Edward Island to Powell’ Supermarket in Harbour Grace;
• S.W. Moores Memorial Stadium places an order and the bag makes its way to the canteen’s kitchen;
• Potatoes are placed in a mechanical peeler and the abrasive coating effectively strips the skin from the vegetable as it spins at a high speed. Cleaned potatoes move down a shute into a bowl of clean water;
• Vegetables are placed in the hand-powered cutter. Potatoes are placed upright until the blades are pushed down, slicing the object into fry form;
• Freshly cut fries are soaked in a stay fresh solution;
• Minutes later, they’re placed in sanitized bins until ready to use that day;
• From the container, the deep fryer is the next step.
• Fried to golden brown perfection, they next move toa heated pan where they’ll cool slightly;
• When an order is placed, fries are scooped into a brown, cardboard bowl where they’l either be smothered in a combination of gravy, dressing or cheese curds — sometimes all three — or salted. Ketchup may be placed on them or on the side.