Fires stressful on neighbours too
Harbour Grace’s Jillian Pynn-White felt her heart beat speed up the moment she started smelling smoke earlier this month.
Whisps of grey were forming around the front door as she was in the kitchen making a bowl of popcorn. Her lights started flickering and she thought it was just a defective bulb that needed to be replaced.
While on the phone with her sister, Pynn-White was informed firefighters were on their way.
“I went to the door and they were asking if there was anyone in there,” she said. “They responded so quickly. They don’t get enough credit for the work that they do as volunteers.”
At that point, the combination of smoke and the sight of Harbour Grace volunteer fire fighters set Pynn-White into a panic as she woke her husband from his slumber
“I started yanking the blankets and the dogs started going mad,” noted Pynn-White, seated on a chesterfield in the couple’s living room. “I got him up, grabbed the dogs and went out through the door. Then, we realized it was next door.”
Stepping onto the front porch, she noticed an intense fire raging feet from her home. There were flames jutting out over the roof. Smoke billowed through broken windows as firefighters tackled the blaze.
There was no one home at the time of the fire on June 5.
A fire is an unfortunate event for anyone who is involved. Not only are home owners sent spiraling into a nightmare, their neighbours are faced with the uncertainty of the fire spreading.
This is especially true when houses are in close proximity to each other. Any slight shift in the wind or a errant ember hits the home in the right way.
That’s why firefighters will often douse the neighbouring homes with water in an effort to prevent fire from damaging a second or third home.
“I was at ease, but then I wasn’t at ease,” said Pynn-White. “You still don’t know, anything could happen.”
“I got him up, grabbed the dogs and went out through the door. Then, we realized it was next door.” Jillian Pynn-White
While a fire burned inside this home on Queen’s Road in Harbour Grace, Jillian Pynn-White feared it would spread to her neighbouring home a few feet away.