Renewed police presence
Bay Roberts RCMP detachment re-opening
Bay Roberts Mayor Philip Wood admits he was caught off guard by words spoken by Darin King in Bay Roberts last week.
The justice minister was in town to let people know about the town’s new pumper truck for the fire department.
Moments after he had announced plans to purchase the new vehicle, King informally announced the re-opening of the Bay Roberts detachment of the RCMP. For the last number of years, it has been operating as a satellite office for the Trinity-Conception branch of the RCMP.
“I was pleasantly surprised about the announcement,” said Wood. “It was something I was anxiously awaiting.”
For the record, the mayor knew there were plans to reopen the detachment as a standalone entity. He just thought word would come out once the federal election was finished.
The announcement was originally scheduled for Aug. 12, but was postponed once Prime Minister Stephen Harper called the election for Oct. 19. It is expected a formal announcement will be made after it concludes.
“It is very positive news,” said Wood. “With the growth in the area, we felt the need was greater today.”
There are still a number of details to finalize, including when the detachment will open, how the Trinity-Conception region will be divided and how many officers will be assigned to the station.
Those questions, amongst others, should be answered when the station re-opening is formally announced sometime in the fall.
The decision to re-open the Bay Roberts detachment came after consultations with the town and the provincial government, according to Trinity Conception RCMP Sgt. Greg Hicks. Those plans are still being finalized.
“It was done based on a study of our resources and an assessment of the needs of that community,” he said. “We look forward to strengthening our services to the community and the surrounding area of Bay Roberts.”
Hicks also mentioned that the RCMP will continue to work hard in the Trinity-Conception region.
The re-opening of the detachment in Bay Roberts could be just what the area needed, according to the mayor.
“It provides security that all families ask for,” said Wood. “The public has been calling for an increased presence. It gives an additional sense of confidence amongst citizens.”
Port de Grave MHA Glenn Littlejohn said the re-opening of the detachment is “great news.”
“It is something we’ve been working on for quite some time with the RCMP and the Department of Justice,” he said. “We were slowly moving it forward. I think (the re-opening) is important to the people in the area.”