CBNSC athletes hit the ice for local events
Skaters with the Conception Bay North Skating Club are a busy bunch these days.
Over the past couple of weeks, some 19 skaters took part in a pair of competitions in Mount Pearl and Paradise.
First up was the Skate NL Sectionals, which were held Nov. 6-7 at the Glacier in Mount Pearl. CBNSC sent a lone athlete to the event.
In the pre-juvenile women (under-11) competition, Jaide Russell skated her way to a seventh-place finish, while Bareneed native Jenna Efford — who does not train with the CBN club — brought home a first place victory in the pre-novice women division. The top finish qualified Efford for the Canadian Challenge held in Edmonton, Alta., as a member of Team NL later this month.
A few weeks later, the Conception Bay North club was well represented at the Agnes Thistle Invitational hosted by the Mount Pearl-Paradise Skating Club on Nov. 28-29 at the Paradise Double Ice Complex.
The group sent 17 the event.
ToniLynn Parsons was the top finisher after she grabbed second spot in the senior bronze women division. Finishing closely behind her was Laura Keefe, who se-
skaters to cured third place.
Sarah Dawson finished seventh in the same competition.
The following is a breakdown of how the other athletes fared:
• Star 5 women (under-13) — Julia Keefe, 10th; Emily Dawson, 12th;
• Star 5 women (over-13) — Helena Churchill, 11th; Natalie Mercer, 19th; Lindsey Porter, 22nd;
• Star 4 women (under-10) — Claire Mercer, 9th;
• Star 4 women (under-13) — Danielle Mercer, 5th; Chloe Seymour, 11th;
• Star 4 women (over-13) — Lexie Smith, 3rd; Chloe Harris, 4th;
• Star 2 (skate to standard – no published results) — Hannah Young;
• Star 1 (skate to standard – no published results) — Chloe Keefe, Alexis Parsons and Maia Roache.
The Conception Bay North Skating Club sent 17 skaters to the Agnes Thistle Invitational hosted by the Mount Pearl-Paradise Skating Club on Nov. 28-29 at the Paradise Double Ice Complex.