Two date-jacking suspects may be willing to avoid trials
Lawyer for woman accused of luring victim still awaits text-messaging evidence
It appears two suspects in the case of a man allegedly lured to the scene of a robbery by his date may be willing to avoid trials.
Troy Dobbin and Jennine Porter were both called to Harbour Grace Provincial Court last Wednesday. The two suspects in the Carbonear date-jacking case have remained in custody since their arrests in late August.
They’re charged with extortion, robbery, assault with a weapon, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose (a knife) and conspiracy to commit an indictable offence. Dobbin is also facing a single-count charge of failure to comply with a probation order.
Defence lawyer Barbara Barker, who is representing the 19-year-old male from Carbonear, told Judge Bruce Short discussions to potentially conclude the matter have been taking place with Crown prosecutor Paul Thistle, though she added the issues at play remain complex. Dobbin’s case returns to court Jan. 25, 2017.
Lori Savory, the lawyer for Porter, 30, anticipates her client’s case will be dealt with by speedy disposition next time around, which suggests Porter will plead guilty.
However, Savory added she couldn’t fully advise her client on how to proceed without seeing the text-messaging evi- dence. Thistle told the court the release of this evidence would likely happen at some point in January.
Short set over Porter’s case until Feb. 15. 2017.
Police allege Porter lured her date, a man from Winterton, to a park in Carbonear during the early hours of Aug. 30. That’s where three men robbed the victim, who then contacted police.
Dobbin and Porter’s fellow co-accused, Adam Stagg, 33, pleaded not guilty last month and was in court last Tuesday.
His three-day trial was scheduled to start in May of next year. Finding new holes in the court’s schedule, lawyers representing Stagg and the Crown were able to book three new dates in April — the 17th, 18th and 20th.
A 15-year-old youth from Carbonear also charged in the case was released on a recognizance in September.