– It is with heavy hearts we the family announce the peaceful passing of Reuben Buckle at the Carbonear General Hospital on Thursday, February 9, 2017, Reuben Buckle of Carbonear, age 90 years. Predeceased by, parents: Isaac and Emily; brothers: George ( Clarice) and Eugene; infant brothers: Clifford and William; sister: Annie (Gus) Chubbs; greatgranddaughter: Angel; greataunts: Louise Marshall and Alice Butt. Left to mourn, wife: Mary; three daughters: Carol (Frank) Merrigan, Carbonear, Judy (Tony) McCarthy, Harbour Grace, and Wendy (Robert) Coulas, Carbonear; four sons: Tony (Sylvia), Winterton, Ron (Janet), Carbonear, Reuben ( Shirley), St. John’s, and Gregory, Carbonear; ten grandchildren: Lisa ( Rodney), Liam (Cheryl), Anthony ( April), Amanda, Andrew (Janine), Alanna (Hayward), Kendell ( Richard), Jessica (Joel), Natasha (Justin), and Michael; four great- grandchildren: Nevaeh, Isaac, Kylie, and Myla; sisters-in-law: Cecilia Button, Old Perlican and Peggy Buckle, Labrador City; nieces and nephews; also a number of other relatives and friends. Rested at Noel’s Funeral Home, Water Street, Carbonear. Rev. Irene Sutton conducted the funeral service on Sunday, February 12 at St. James Anglican Church, Carbonear. Interment was in the Interfaith Cemetery, Carbonear. As an expression of sympathy, donations in his memory may be made to the St. James Anglican Church Building Fund, P.O. Box 915, Carbonear, NL, A1Y 1C4, or to a charity of one’s choice. Please visit noelsfuneralhome.com to sign the memorial guest book.
ROBERTS, William James Arthur (Doc) MD, FRCPS
- Of Dover-Foxcroft, Maine. Passed away peacefully at Eastern Maine Medical Center, Bangor, Maine on Saturday, February 11th after a short illness. Jim is predeceased by his father, Dr. James B. Roberts and is deeply mourned by his wife, Edna (Churley); daughters, Felicity Roberts (Dave Hopley) of St. John’s, and Virginia Roberts (Bill Gibelli Jr.) of Atlanta, Georgia; his mother, Joan (nee Knowling) Roberts of St. John’s; sister Dr. Ann Roberts of St. John’s; and brother David Roberts of Brigus, Newfoundland as well as other relatives and many friends in Canada and the United States. Jim was born in St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada in 1947. He graduated from Memorial University of Newfoundland Medical School and practiced as a Cottage Hospital doctor in Old Perlican, Newfoundland before training in anesthesiology and practicing in that field at Carbonear General Hospital. In 1994, Jim and his family moved to Dover-Foxcroft where he served as anesthesiologist at Mayo Regional Hospital until his retirement in 2006. Jim will be remembered in Newfoundland and in Maine as a man with an active, inquiring mind who loved the outdoors, and who cherished a simple life with the pleasures of hunting, fishing, wood stoves, tents, and good friends and family with whom to share it all. He was a skilled and caring Physician, a good man and a good friend. Family and friends may visit at Lary Funeral Home in DoverFoxcroft from one until four pm on Sunday, February 19th. Those who wish may donate in memory of Jim to The Atlantic Salmon Federation at either of the following addresses: P.O. Box 807, Calais, ME. 046190807, or P.O. Box 5200, St. Andrews, NB, Canada, E5B 3S8. Messages of condolence and memories may be expressed at www.laryfuneralhome.com.
BYRNE , Phyllis I.
- Passed peacefully away at Glenbrook Lodge, St. John’s on Friday, February 10, 2017, Phyllis I. Byrne of Victoria, age 82 years. Predeceased by husband: Lawrence; parents: Charles and Mary Ann Antle; brothers: Clarence and Charlie; sisters: Hannah, Mary Louise, Elizabeth, Mabel, Doris, and Bertha. Left to mourn, one daughter: Beverley ( David) Pike, Torbay; four sons: Dennis (Suzanne) and Kevin (Muriel), both of Victoria, Gerald and Clarence ( Linda- Mae), both of St. John’s; seven grandchildren: Adam, Paul, Katlyn, Leigh Ann, David, Alyson, and Laura; one great-grandson: Max; also a number of other relatives and friends. Rested at Noel’s Funeral Home, Water Street, Carbonear. Father Anthony Nwoko conducted the service on Monday, February 13 from Noel’s Memorial Chapel, Carbonear. Interment was in St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Cemetery, Carbonear. Donations in her memory may be made to the Alzheimer Society of NL, 107-835 Topsail Road, Mt. Pearl, NL, A1N 3J6 or online Alzheimer.ca/en/nl. Please visit noelsfuneralhome. com to sign the memorial guest book.
- Passed peacefully away at Lions Manor Nursing Home, Placentia on Thursday, February 9, 2017, M. Marcella Meadus of Grates Cove, age 87 years. Predeceased by husband: Obediah; brothers: Wallace and John, sisters: Phyllis, Carrie, and Myrtle. Left to mourn, four daughters: Carolyn Meadus, Vancouver, BC, Marie (Roger) Snow, Pickering, ON, Suzanne (Martin) Delaney, Scarborough, ON, and Rochelle (David) Walsh, Bay de Verde; two sons: Randy and Walter (Louise) Sparkes, both of Grates Cove; nine grandchildren; twelve great-grandchildren; three sisters: Joyce (Clarence) Noseworthy, Bay Roberts and Minnie Windsor, St. John’s, and Harriett Hauger, Indiana, USA; sisters-in-law: Phyllis Lambert, Grates Cove, Isabelle Rowsell, Seal Cove, and Olive Meadus, Richmond Hill, ON; also a large number of other relatives and friends. Rested at St. Luke’s Anglican Church, Grates Cove. Rev. Michael Carruthers conducted the funeral service on Monday, February 13 at St. Luke’s Anglican Church and Cemetery, Grates Cove. As an expression of sympathy, donations in her memory may be made to St. Luke’s Anglican Church, General Delivery, Grates Cove, NL, A0A 2L0. Please visit noelsfuneralhome.com to sign the memorial guest book.
MEADUS, M. Marcella SHEPPARD, Carrie Louise
- Passed peacefully away at the Carbonear General Hospital on Wednesday, February 8, 2017, Carrie Louise Sheppard of Harbour Grace South, age 87 years. Predeceased by parents: Hayward and Susie Sheppard; brothers: Reginald and Leslie; sister: Betty Ethridge; sister- in- law: Grace Sheppard; brothers- in- law: Joe Thoms and Rev. Gordon Ethridge. Left to mourn, two sisters: Virginia ( Clyde) Hillier, Mount Pearl and Winnie Thoms, Carbonear; sisterin- law: Mary Sheppard, Harbour Grace; a number of nieces, nephews, greatnieces, and great- nephews; special friends: Daphne and Tom Mercer, Harbour Grace South; a large number of other relatives and friends in the United States and Newfoundland. Rested at Noel’s Funeral Home, Harvey Street, Harbour Grace. Rev. Moses Tucker conducted the funeral service on Sunday, February 12 at St. Peter’s Anglican Church and Cemetery, Harbour Grace South. As an expression of sympathy, donations in her memory may be made to St. Peter’s Anglican Church, Site 1, Box 62, RR1, Hr. Grace South, NL, A0A 2N0. Please visit noelsfuneralhome.com to sign the memorial guest book.