DFO policy changes a victory for inshore fishermen, FISH-NL says
The Federation of Independent Sea Harvesters of Newfoundland and Labrador (FISH-NL) is applauding recent measures announced by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) to ease the impact of shrinking quotas and support fish enterprises.
DFO announced last week its combining policy will be adjusted to allow three-to-one enterprise combining for all fleets in fishing zone 3Ps on the south coast.
Combined enterprises in the under 40-foot fleet in 3Ps will also be permitted to buddy up.
“This is most certainly a victory for inshore harvesters,”
Ryan Cleary said in a news release.
“DFO is to be thanked for listening to the concerns of harvesters when their own union, the FFAW, has tuned them out.”
The cod fishery in 3Ps reopened last Wednesday. A management plan for the season has yet to be announced, however. DFO science has recommended the cod quota for the area be reduced from the 13,000 tonnes it was set at in 2016.
This year’s quota is expected to be set below the 7,000 tonnes that was actually caught last year.
In an effort to help the northern shrimp fleet, DFO has also announced that the department is working on short-term options for flexible harvest arrangement between enterprises for 2017.
The northern shrimp quota in waters off the Great Northern Peninsula and southern Labrador was slashed in March by 62.6 per cent to 10,400 tonnes this year.
FISH-NL met with Newfoundland and Labrador’s MPs in Ottawa on the fishery last month and recommended flexibility in this year harvesting rules, the release noted.