Community steps in to help Port de Grave family following house fire
Steps have been taken to help a Port de Grave family get back on its feet following a devastating house fire.
Firefighters spent several hours last Tuesday battling an intense blaze at the two-storey house on the edge of Port de Grave near Lears Cove. The Bay Roberts Volunteer Fire Department had to call in the Bay de Grave brigade to help fan the flames, which burned into the early evening. There were no reports of injuries.
The fire displaced a family of four, the Steads. Already, people in the area are making an effort to help out. A fundraising campaign on the website Fundly.com has Bay Roberts Minor Softball — a group one of the children is involved with — matching donations up to $400. It reached the $800 goal quickly and was set to end this week.
The Salvation Army Bay Roberts is currently assisting the family and the Anglican Parish of Port de Grave is collecting clothing and toiletry items on the family’s behalf. The monthly St. Luke’s Jubilee at the church hall in Port de Grave on June 13 will also serve as a fundraiser for the family. It starts at 7 p.m.
This two-storey home in Port de Grave was completely destroyed by fire last Tuesday, displacing a family of four.