Joshua Chubbs pleads guilty to charge of advertising circumcision services
Charge of unlawful medical practices dropped
Joshua Chubbs made his first appearance for a speedy disposition in the Harbour Grace provincial courthouse on Friday, Aug 25.
Chubbs entered guilty pleas to his lesser charge of unlawfully holding out by advertisement to be entitled to engage in medical practices, under the Medical Act of Newfoundland. Chubbs’ other charge of unlawfully practising medicine without a license was dropped due to a lack of evidence to support the allegations laid against him, namely suggestions that Chubbs had performed over 50 surgeries.
Chubbs sat quietly in the courtroom throughout the matter, occasionally shaking his head as Crown lawyer Paul Thistle read aloud the statement of facts.
During the reading of the facts, it was stated Chubbs admitted to investigators that he did offer to perform services, specifically circumcision. However, despite allegations, Chubbs said he did not perform any of the services he offered.
The Crown went on to suggest to Judge Bruce Short that a fine would be the most appropriate disposition against Chubbs, calling the situation “profoundly dangerous.” Along with a $2,500-fine, the Crown also suggested a period of probation.
Chubbs’ lawyer, Rosellin Sullivan, was also present during the matter. She suggested a discharge, noting no harm was done and Chubbs held no record prior to charges being laid in February 2017.
“I don’t think it warrants a conviction,” Sullivan said in the courtroom, noting the media attention Chubbs had received would be enough to deter any future issues.
In March 2017, a Carbonear woman told The Compass that Chubbs had offered, via Facebook Messenger, to circumcise her son. During the conversation, it was suggested that Chubbs had performed over 50 surgeries; however, Sullivan said there was no evidence to support the idea that any surgeries had taken place.
“In the police report, there was reference to him saying that he had done it in the past,” Sullivan said after the matter had been adjourned. “There was no evidence that that happened. It was not supported by anything.”
Short said he wished to have some time to think about the matter. A decision will be made on Thursday, Aug. 31.
Chubbs left the courtroom freely, alongside family, but declined to comment on the matter. However, Sullivan told The Compass she felt that dropping Chubbs’ first charge was a reasonable outcome.
Chubbs’ sentencing is set to take place Thursday, Aug. 31, at 1:30 p.m., where it will be decided whether Chubbs will face a $2,500-fine and probation, or be discharged, as suggested by Sullivan.
Joshua Chubbs sat silently in the Harbour Grace provincial courthouse during his first appearance since charges were laid in February 2017.