War­riors shoot down Sur­rey Ea­gles

The Daily Courier - - WESTSIDE WEEKLY -

SUR­REY — The West­side War­riors lived up to their name when they bat­tled back from a two-goal deficit to score their fourth straight vic­tory.

Three unan­swered goals and 32 saves from Nik Amundrud earned the War­riors a 3-2 vic­tory over the Sur­rey Ea­gles at the South Sur­rey Arena on Tues­day night. The game did not get off to a good start for the vis­i­tors.

Parm Dhali­wal took a penalty just 35 sec­onds into ac­tion and at the 56 sec­ond mark, the Ea­gles opened the scor­ing on a power move from the left cor­ner by Desi Bur­gart, slid­ing the puck through the legs of War­riors starter Cole De­mers for a 1-0 Sur­rey ad­van­tage.

The Ea­gles con­tin­ued their strong start by get­ting ahead by a 2-0 score at the 3:44 mark of the 1st pe­riod as John Wes­ley slipped by a pair of War­riors de­fend­ers to get to the hash marks.

Wes­ley beat De­mers with a shot blocker side to put the Ea­gles up by a pair and end the night of De­mers as the 18year-old made no saves on two shots giv­ing way to Nik Amundrud.

Af­ter that goal, the War­riors went to the at­tack, out­shoot­ing the Ea­gles 13-6 mar­gin in the frame and get­ting on the board courtesy of the cap­tain. Jared Marino busted down the left-wing side and let a shot go from the left-wing face-off cir­cle, beat­ing Ea­gles net­min­der Daniel David­son for his fifth goal of the sea­son.

The War­riors con­tin­ued of­fen­sive surge by ty­ing the game at the 8:25 mark of the sec­ond pe­riod as Ben­nett Nor­lin cen­tred a pass to­ward the Ea­gles goal with two War­riors go­ing to the front of the net.

Peter To­maras bat­ted the puck home for his sec­ond goal of the sea­son and tied the score at two.

West Kelowna took their first and only lead of the game late in the sec­ond pe­riod with Marino get­ting the puck into the of­fen­sive zone and pass­ing to Cavin Til­s­ley in the left face-off cir­cle.

Til­s­ley found an open Nor­lin in the slot who made no mis­take with a shot low to the blocker side of David­son for his third goal of the sea­son and a 3-2 War­riors lead.

The Ea­gles pressed in the game’s fi­nal pe­riod to try and even the score but the War­riors tall as Amundrud turned aside 16 third pe­riod shots to fin­ish off a fourth straight vic­tory for the War­riors.

The War­riors started the game with Cole De­mers who was pulled af­ter 3:44 while mak­ing one save on three shots be­fore be­ing re­lieved by Nik Amundrud who turned aside all 31 shots he faced for his fourth vic­tory of the sea­son.

Daniel David­son got the start in goal for the Ea­gles, mak­ing 34 saves on 37 shots in the de­feat.

The War­riors (8-3-0-0) re­turn home to open up a four-game home stand, start­ing off against the We­natchee Wild (5-3-1-0) at Royal LePage Place on Fri­day night for a 7 p.m. face-off.

Tick­ets are avail­able through the War­riors of­fice and by call­ing (250) 769-7051.

The game will also be broad­casted live on the War­riors In­ter­net Net­work.


The West­side War­riors started slowly, but kicked into high gear when in counted, de­feat­ing the Ea­gles in Sur­rey on Tues­day

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.