4 forced out of home by laun­dry room blaze

The Daily Courier - - OKANAGAN -

A laun­dry room fire dam­aged a Kelowna home and dis­placed four res­i­dents and four cats Mon­day morn­ing.

Kelowna Fire Dis­patch re­ceived a 911 call re­port­ing a house fire in the 2500 block of Sex­smith Road at 11:36 a.m.

On ar­rival, crews re­ported see­ing smoke com­ing from the back of the home.

Crews en­tered the house and knocked down the fire in the base­ment laun­dry room.

One adult, two teenagers and four cats were home at the time of the fire, and all es­caped safely, said pla­toon Capt. Kelly Stephens.

The smoke alarm had alerted the res­i­dents of the fire, he said.

The fire was con­tained to the laun­dry room, but smoke and wa­ter dam­age oc­curred through­out the house, said Stephens, adding the fire was ex­tin­guished quickly.

The four res­i­dents of the home are un­able to stay in the res­i­dence be­cause of the dam­age.

The cause of the fire is cur­rently un­der in­ves­ti­ga­tion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.