Accused bomber may face life term
NEW YORK — The Florida man accused of sending pipe bombs to prominent critics of U.S. President Donald Trump was indicted Friday on charges carrying a potential penalty of life in prison.
The 30-count indictment against Cesar Sayoc was handed up in Manhattan federal court, where Sayoc made an initial appearance earlier this week after he was brought to New York.
Sayoc, 56, was arrested Oct. 26 in Florida on five charges carrying a potential sentence upon conviction of nearly 50 years.
Authorities said he sent improvised explosive devices to numerous Democrats, critics of Trump and CNN.The scare heightened tensions before the crucial midterm elections, but he was arrested within days.
Prosecutors followed through on a promise to upgrade the charges with an indictment that led with five counts alleging use of a weapon of mass destruction. The document said he mailed 16 improvised explosive devices though the U.S. mail to victims across the country.
None of the devices — some of which arrived at New York addresses — exploded.