Lit cig­a­rette causes St. Wil­liams fire

The Delhi News-Record - - FRONT PAGE -

A mother and her young daugh­ter are safe after their St. Wil­liams house caught fire Jan. 1.

Emer­gency crews were called just after 5 a.m. for a struc­ture fire on Town­line St.

The fe­male oc­cu­pant dis­cov­ered a smol­der­ing chair and moved it out­side to the front porch. Once the chair was out­side, the fire grew and spread to the side of the house.

Fire crews were able to ex­tin­guish the fire on the out­side and used a ther­mal imag­ing cam­era to make sure the fire hadn’t ex­tended to the rest of the house.

An in­ves­ti­ga­tion de­ter­mined a lit cig­a­rette was the the cause of the fire, said a me­dia re­lease is­sued by Nor­folk County Fire and Res­cue Ser­vices.

Most of the fire dam­age was con­tained to the out­side of the home, but the in­side sus­tained a sig­nif­i­cant amount of smoke dam­age. Dam­age is es­ti­mated to be $20,000. The fam­ily will be able to re­turn to the home once the re­pairs have been made, said the re­lease.

The home didn’t have a work­ing smoke alarm or CO alarm.

LAURA BROADLEY/ DELHI NEWS-RECORD

Sig­nif­i­cant dam­age was sus­tained on the out­side of a St. Wil­liams home when a chair on fire was moved to the front porch. A Nor­folk County Fire and Res­cue Ser­vices in­ves­ti­ga­tion de­ter­mined the prob­a­ble cause of the fire was a cig­a­rette.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.