End of era for Bill Cross Men’s Shop
An era is ending in downtown Drumheller, as Bill Cross Men’s Shop will be closing its doors.
Mel and Maureen Cragg announced that after 38 years, they have decided to move on. They are appreciative of the support they received from the community over almost four decades.
The store has had a long history in the valley. The building itself, at 338 Centre Street, has stood since 1925 when Tony’s Ladies Wear opened, the first women’s clothing shop in the Valley. It changed hands and businesses a number of times, until Bill Cross established a Drumheller location. He also had shops in Oyen and Hanna. Dave Snideman eventu- ally bought the location.
In 1979, Mel began working for Snideman at the shop, right out of high school. In 1985, he began sewing and doing alterations. In 2001, Mel and Maureen took over the shop.
The 2,400 square foot building in the downtown core will not be left unoccu- pied however as Ken Ireland, of Country Bits and Baubles, will be moving his shop from down the block come April 1, 2016. This will more than triple the size of his existing store.
Until then Bill Cross Men’s Shop will be holding a store clearance sale, offering great discounts.