Fatality in Bankview fire
Citizen pulls victim from burning home Saturday
A structure fire that took the life of a Drumheller man and injured a woman last Saturday night has been deemed non-suspicious in nature.
The Drumheller Fire Department, EMS, and RCMP responded to a house fire at approximately 6:50 p.m., Sat
urday night on 2nd Street SW. Upon arrival, Fire Chief Bruce Wade said the house was engulfed. The department responded with two pump trucks, about 18 firefighters and their rescue vehicle.
“We had a quick knock down (of the fire),” said Wade confirming the fatality. “At this time it is still under inves- tigation.”
The identity of the deceased has not been released.
Before firefighters arrived on scene, a female victim had been taken out of the residence by bystanders.
The Mail spoke with Chris Thompson, who was driving by when he saw the smoke. He went to the house and banged on the windows while another passerby called 911. Thompson told The Mail he broke down the back door of the house and saw two feet. He and two other people dragged a female on to the back deck of the house. She was suffering what appeared to be severe burns and was taken to hospital by EMS.
Constable Jason Gerard said investigators from the Fire Commissioner's office were on scene, and while the investigation is ongoing, it appears the fire began in the front room.
“The fire investigator deemed it as most likely accidental. It was not electrical,” said Gerard.
He adds it is the type of fire that could go unsolved and could have simply been started by a cigarette or ashes.
The home was destroyed by the fire.
Chief Wade explains when there is an injury or fatal fire, the Fire Commissioner's offi ce is notified. The RCMP will also be conducting the investigation with the Fire Commissioner's Office.
Firefighters battle a blaze which broke out in Bankview on Saturday evening, claiming the life of a man and severely injuring a woman. Investigators deemed the fire to be non-suspicious in nature and likely accidental.