Midland Hall damaged by fire
The Drumheller and Munson Fire Departments responded to a structure fire at the Midland Hall, Tuesday afternoon.
When they arrived on scene shortly after 2 p.m., the front entryway to the community hall was engulfed. Firefighters responded and using their Simon Snorkel truck and other apparatus, battled the blaze. They were able to contain the fire to the front entryway.
At this point, there is no estimate to the damage, however the building is currently unusable.
Garry Grieve, president of the Midland Hall Board told The Mail the building was undergoing renovations at the time.
“This is unbelievable,” said Grieve, expressing his disappointment.
A spokesperson of SD Roofing said on social media, contractors were doing a torch job on the small flat area of the building when a hidden bird’s net in the rafters ignited. Crews did their best to contain the blaze with fire extinguishers until firefighters arrived on scene. AHS Ambulance respond- ed, however there were no injuries.
Grieve said they are in the process of contacting their insurers to assess the damage.
The building has been used as a community hall for many years after being converted from the original Midland Cottage School. The walls of the hall are decorated with original artwork by Bonita Krueger, depicting notable Midland residents and coalminers. There is no word on their condition.