Building evacuated due to smoke in Sandstone Manor
Drumheller Emergency Services responded to a fire alarm at Sandstone Manor at 10th Avenue and 3rd Street late Monday night.
One of the nearby residents had a small fire pit going and smoke was drawn into the ventilation system, triggering the building’s alarm, according to Fire Chief Bruce Wade. After a physical check of the building, residents were allowed back into their units around 12:20 am.
There were no injuries. Some 30 residents live in the three storey building.
Drumheller Housing Administration maintenance Jerry Roberto, Don Boyer and Bob Sheddy attended to assist the fire department with the evacuation and access to the building. Building manager Jerry Roberto noticed the smell of smoke on the West End of the building. Upon further investigation he found a smoldering fire pit in the neighbor’s yard billowing smoke beside the air intake.
Once the fire was extinguished, the air handling system was able to clear the building within 10 minutes.
DHA CAO Bob Sheddy said “We want to commend the tenants for their quick evacuation out of the building and the Drumheller Fire department on their quick response.”
Jerry Roberto said “Within minutes the Fire Department had arrived and gained access to every suite in the building and used their heat sensing camera to ensure there weren’t any areas of concern.
Don Boyer commented, “We are pleased with how our emergency response plan worked. After reviewing our security cameras, we found that within 3 minutes of the alarm being sounded all tenants had safely evacuated the building.”
Firefighters responded to Sandstone Manor late Monday night to reports of smoke in the building. Residents were evacuated for a short time while the department investigated.