An­other suc­cess­ful week­end for the Ban­tam Roy­als

The Gananoque Reporter - - SPORTS -


White­head, Avery Garo­falo and Kennedy Macey held the of­fen­sive blue line to keep most of the play in the Kingston end, tak­ing many shots from the blue line. For­ward Tea­gan Fisher pres­sured hard in their zone as well, caus­ing mul­ti­ple turnovers and hav­ing a few high, hard shots of her own.

In one play, ex­haus­tion show­ing, the Roy­als de­fence got caught in the Kingston zone. Thank­fully, for­ward Emma McShane hur­ried back to de­fend, and pre­vented an easy break­away by the IceWolves player. Due to wan­ing en­ergy, the Kingston Ice Wolves had many op­por­tu­ni­ties on net in the Roy­als end, but goalie Saige O’Connor made save af­ter save to keep her tired team in the game.

In the second pe­riod, the play was once again in the at­tack­ing zone when for­ward Mad­die Muir forechecked be­hind their net, got con­trol of the puck, and brought it out to the front of the net in a solid scor­ing at­tempt. The Kingston goalie kicked the shot away, but not fast enough, as cen­tre and as­sis­tant cap­tain Cor­lyn Sharpe, al­ways in po­si­tion and skat­ing hard all game, knocked the loose puck into the back of the net to give the Roy­als the lead.

Un­for­tu­nately for the Roy­als, only two min­utes later, the Kingston team tied it up af­ter a strong shot on a break­away. The Roy­als con­tin­ued to play strong, and had many more chances on net, but were un­lucky, and the game ended in a 1-1 tie.

In the second game of the week­end, the Roy­als trav­elled to Stone Mills to face the Sharks on Satur­day, Nov. 25. The Roy­als were well­rested from the pre­vi­ous night, and had a solid show­ing, start­ing strong right out of the gate. TheRoy­als dom­i­nated the play, and had lots of room to skate against the Sharks.

In the second pe­riod, de­fence Ash­ley Garo­falo made a beau­ti­ful pass to sis­ter and cen­tre Ash­ley Garo­falo, who car­ried the puck into the Sharks zone ex­pertly, as she had­many times pre­vi­ously in the game, and took a hard shot on net, this one fi­nally squeak­ing past the Sharks net­min­der, to give the Roy­als a 1-0 lead.

The Sharks came back strong, and had sev­eral at­tempts on goalie Mor­gan McCal­lum. McCal­lum shut down the hard shots, and the Roy­als de­fence cleared the re­bounds quickly from the front of the net.

De­fence and as­sis­tant cap­tainHan­nah Bal­dree had many end- to- end rushes, and un­for­tu­nately for her, many of those ended with her hard shot ric­o­chet­ing off a post. Thank­fully, near the end of the game, one of these rushes again re­sulted in hit­ting the post, how­ever this time bounced off the post in her favour, into the back of the net, putting the Roy­als up by two to end the game.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.