In 1882, as soon as the surveyors for the Ontario and Quebec Railway determined that the only reasonable route through the swamps of the Garry and Beaudette Rivers was through the Apple Hill area, several citizens moved from the Loch Garry settlement and a post office was set up.
The new village was a piece of high, dry land where the road from Martintown to the northern settlements happened to intersect the new railway. This piece of dry land was Sandy Kennedy’s Orchard, hence the name “Apple Hill” for the post office and proposed station. Construction of the railroad began in 1885, five years after the post office opened.
In the early days the village once was a thriving settlement with many general stores, blacksmith, cheese factories, gas stations, a hotel and a busy railway station.m Today the village has a modern licensed community centre, playground, soccer and ball fields, but gone are the many businesses that used to line our streets. Many fundraising events occur during the year sponsored by the local fire department, churches and recreation committee which keeps the community spirit alive.
Family roots are deeply buried in the hearts of many people who fondly visit their “hometown” and are welcomed by the quiet friendliness of the people who live there today.