L Lancaster was incorporated on October 19, 1887. The establishment of The Grand Trunk Railway greatly improved the town’s economy. Lancaster and South Lancaster are conveniently located at the junction of Highway 401, Highway 2 and Cty Rd 34. The main thoroughfare of the bustling town offers a variety of restaurants and quaint country shops. Recreational fishing and boating are readily available on the scenic St. Lawrence River. Loyalists founded Kirktown in 1785, and the settlers renamed the village “Lancaster” to honour George III, the Duke of Lancaster. The town had an excellent location by the river; it soon became a centre for a multitude of industry and commerce. Lancaster was the hub of an active stagecoach run. Farmers and businessmen from other villages delivered their products to Lancaster for export.