This is a special year for Green Valley which celebrates its 140th birthday in 2018. As historian Ron Lajoie recalls it all began 140 years ago when the new government in Canada, gave the small village a name and its first post office. On April 1, 1878 Green Valley officially became a village and George Blair, a local farmer, became the first postmaster.
Green Valley was born as a result of three pivotal events: The arrival of Scottish settlers in St. Raphael’s (1786), the building of the CPR (1887-1914), as part of Sir John A. Macdonald’s dream and the arrival of canadiens, who began dairy farming in the area in 1890.
During these early days, it was a popular spot. Travellers between Hawkesbury and Lancaster would stop here for a rest and for a drink. The development of Green Valley gained momentum in 1887 when the Canadian Pacific Railway crossed Highway 34. This would link Green Valley to Apple Hill and eventually Toronto and Montréal.
In 1938 Léo Lajoie built the Green Valley Pavilion which drew crowds from everywhere. The hall became a church in 1956. In the ‘30s Wilfrid Ménard moved into the village with Ménard Construction (now Cruickshank) and Jos Vaillancourt built a large feed mill near the CPR tracks which later burned in December, 1966.