Cheese factories were once common in every area community
At one time, cheese factories could be found in almost every hamlet in Glengarry.
Here is a list, originally published in a 1977 edition of the Glengarry Historical Society’s Glengarry Life, of some of the operations that were once part of a booming cheese industry.
Eugene Fortin's “Lilly White” factory was located on the 9th Concession of Charlottenburgh at the Beaudette River. It had 30 patrons and made 100,000 pounds per year.
The “Chapel” factory was built across the road from the Roman Catholic chapel, in Avondale, on the 9th Concession of Charlottenburgh.
The “Bowen Farm” factory was located on the north side of the entrance lane to the “Fraserfield” house. The factorv was closed in 1900.
The “Glen Brook” cheese factory was located on the South Branch Road, approximately 3.5 miles from Williamstown, on the bank of the Raisin River. Jim Faulkner was one of the cheese makers. Some Glen Brook cheese was sold at the Bon Secours market in Montréal.
The “Glendale” factory stood between the north and south branches of the Raisin River. “Sandy” Alex Clark was one of the cheese makers. One Glendale cheese sent to the Chicago World's Fair in 1892 won a prize. In 1918, this factory produced 212,000 pounds of cheese.
The “Glen Donald” factory was located onethird mile south of the Gore Road on Jennie Fraser's side road and drained into a branch of Gray's Creek.
The “Glen Falloch” factory was located on the south-west corner of the Kinloch Road, 2.5 miles from Martintown.
One of D.M. MacPherson's establishments, the “Glen Gordon” operation was constructed 3.5 miles north of Lancaster on the west side of Highway 34, opposte the 4th of Lancaster. The factory drained waste water into Finney's Creek.
The “Riverside” and the “Royal” were located in Glen Walter on the bank of the St. Lawrence River.
Managed by William J. O’Brien, the “Riverside” factory produced 65 tons of cheese in 1919.
Located on the south side of Charlottenburgh Concesssion 3, the “Johnson Road” factory (Silver Lily) made 60 cheeses per week in 1918.
The “Ferguson” factory was located south of the King's Road, south of the 4th Con., west side corner of the Johnson Road. This factory drained waste water into a branch of the Rombeau Creek.
The “King’s Road” plant was situated east of Martintown. This operation beggan in 1903 after the Fraserfield factory stopped production. lt was first owned by the patrons. lt was purchased in 1927 by Harvey MacMillan, son of the late George MacMillan, district cheese Inspector and cheese maker. The factory produced cheese, butter and whey butter until its closure and sale to Kraft Foods Ltd. in 1971.
The “MacGillivray Bridge” factory was built on the bank of the North branch, Raisin River. Eleven patrons brought milk to the factory which made 71,703 pounds of cheesein 1916.
The Martintown factory was operated by Willie lrvin and burned in 1910.
The Burn Brae factory was built in 1885 by D.M. MacPherson. This factory changed hands several times and was twice rebuilt following fires. James R. May bought the factory in 1905. Alex MacMillan, brother of Harvey MacMillan, purchased the factory in 1936 and owned it until selling to Kraft Foods Ltd. in 1971.
The North Branch, owned by a co-operative of farmers, was located north-west of Martintown.
Operated by Roddy MacDonald, the Blacksmith, in St. Raphael’s was located south of the vilage and drained into the Sutherland Creek. The “Silver City” factory was located approximately 1.5 miles south of the Canadian National Raiiways track near Summerstown. The “Riverbank” butter and cheese factory operated by E.E. Chafee was built in 1902. The plant received an average of 6,000 pounds of milk per day for seven months in 1919.
The “Farmer’s Choice” factory was managed by Charles A. Wilkins, a protegé of D.M. Macpherson, in 1919. It was located in Tyotown.
The “Williamstown” factory made butter and cheese. Ed Chinette operated this factory on the south bank of the Raisin River in Williamstown.
Here is an old Glengarry recipe made with cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (strong cheese is
best) 3/4 cup flour 1 tablespoon buttter 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1 egg Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Roll out dough to 8 x 10 inch rectangle on a floured board. Cut dough into strips, 4 inches long, 1/2 inch wide. Twist strips into spirals and place on greased baking sheet. Bake at 400 F for 10 minutes. Sprinkle strips with paprika, if desired. Serve warm or cool and store in an airtight tin.
ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES: Anyone who knows anything about poutine knows that fresh curds are a must, and that St-Albert curds are tough to beat.