Stove was on, no­body was home

The Glengarry News - - Front Page -

Keep look­ing when cook­ing. The North Glen­garry Fire De­part­ment has been com­pelled to is­sue that re­minder after re­spond­ing to a fire in Lag­gan last week, to find the stove was on, but no­body was home.

Jan­uary 30, fire­fight­ers were dis­patched to the home after the home­owner’s fire de­tec­tion sys­tem sent out an alert that smoke had been de­tected in the build­ing.

“When our fire­fight­ers ar­rived on the scene, they could de­tect smoke in the house. They broke down the door and traced the smoke to the kitchen,” said North Glen­garry Fire Chief Pa­trick Gau­thier.

No one was home but some­thing had been left cook­ing on the stove.

While the fire had spread into the wall be­hind the stove, “There was min­i­mal dam­age in this case, be­cause we got lucky and we got there early,” the fire chief said. “The alarm saved that house, be­cause with­out it, the fire may not have been re­ported be­fore flames were seen shoot­ing from the build­ing.”

The fire de­part­ment stresses that peo­ple need to “keep look­ing when you’re cook­ing” and to never leave a stove, cook­ing el­e­ment or bar­be­cue unat­tended.

Across Canada care­less cook­ing re­mains the lead­ing cause of res­i­den­tial blazes, ac­count­ing for 18 per cent of in­ci­dents, ac­cord­ing to the Of­fice of the Fire Mar­shal and Emer­gency Man­age­ment.

Faulty wiring was the num­ber two prob­lem, rep­re­sent­ing the cause of nine per cent of fires re­ported be­tween 2011 and 2015.

Blazes are also sparked by heat­ing and/ cool­ing sys­tems, cig­a­rettes, ap­pli­ances, open flame tools, and can­dles.


MEDAL HAUL: Leigh McGaughey and her one-year-old son, James, look through some of the medals she’s won over her ca­reer as an un­der­wa­ter hockey player. The 44-year-old South Africa na­tive, who cur­rently plays for the Cana­dian women’s elite team, now makes her home in Bainsville.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.