Fire hits Kent store

Fire­fight­ers re­spond to blaze at Char­lot­te­town build­ing sup­plies store

The Guardian (Charlottetown) - - NEWS - BY MAU­REEN COUL­TER

A fire at the Kent Build­ings Sup­plies in Char­lot­te­town Sun­day night was the re­sult of halo­gen bulbs over­heat­ing from the emer­gency light­ing, said Char­lot­te­town fire in­spec­tor Win­ston Bryan af­ter the in­ves­ti­ga­tion was con­cluded this morn­ing.

The Char­lot­te­town fire depart­ment re­sponded to the call at 10:50 p.m. to the build­ing on 65 Marsh Rd.

Pal­lets of in­ven­tory and card­board were ig­nited from the emer­gency light­ing, which was pow­ered by halo­gen bulbs.

The halo­gen bulbs pro­duced enough heat to cause ig­ni­tion of a box, which then spread to other boxes on the shelv­ing unit.

The fire was con­tained in the ware­house area and shelv­ing units, said Bryan.

All clear was given at around 2 a.m. Mon­day with no in­juries sus­tained.

Though this doesn’t hap­pen of­ten, it tends to hap­pen more in ware­houses, where goods are some­times stacked up against lights.

“Over time they will ig­nite,” said Bryan.

It boils down to train­ing within the busi­nesses to in­stall light­ing at proper heights.

“Take it into con­sid­er­a­tion what you are ac­tu­ally stor­ing in your ware­house... should be de­signed around that.”

What con­tained the fire was the sprin­kler sys­tem, said Bryan.

“The sprin­kler sys­tem ba­si­cally con­tained the fire to one par­tic­u­lar area of the build­ing,” he said.

“So hav­ing your sprin­kler sys­tem main­tained and in­spected on a year-to-year base, as per code, as­sisted in the sup­pres­sion of the fire.”

SUB­MIT­TED PHOTO BY CHAR­LOT­TE­TOWN FIRE DEPART­MENT

Char­lot­te­town fire­fight­ers re­sponded to a call late Sun­day at the Kent Build­ing Sup­plies store on Marsh Road.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.