Ammonia leak at Cody Banks
Charlottetown firefighters were called to Cody Banks Arena Tuesday were a report had come in of ammonia in the air.
Ammonia is a gas used in the refrigeration system of rinks to make ice and keep it cool.
The unit was shut down for the summer, said Deputy Fire Chief Tim Mayme, but there was a slight smell of ammonia when there should be none. Firefighters controlled the area, got clients out of the building, including a kick-boxing club and people practising roller derby, then stood by to escort some refrigeration technicians into the arena.
“It was a maintenance issue,” said Mayme. “(Ammonia) never reached alarm levels.”
This is the second time in recent years that such an event has occurred.
A more serious ammonia leak in November 2013 caused an evacuation of Sherwood school next door. At that time a leak in the ice-making system had to be contained by members of the provincial hazardous materials, or Hazmat, team.
Tuesday’s event being less serious saw children playing on the school playground right next door and pedestrians strolling by on the sidewalks around the building. The roller-derby enthusiasts and kick boxers, however, were not allowed to get their cars from the parking lot. Firefighters were tasked with getting their keys and driving their vehicles to a meeting point by the school next door.
Charlottetown firefighters prepare to enter the Cody banks Area to check reports of an ammonia leak.